Difference between History Paper 2 and 3?

A Random Person

The difference that I have met was about topics. On paper 3 they are more difficult than in paper 2. Moreover, as I dealt with essays from both papers, on paper 3 there was a quotation and the knowledge used in essay had to be adjusted to it. These are two differences I know. Maybe there is more but this will other people tell you.

Paper 3 is for HL only and it deals with 3 (as I remember) options chosen by the student. In paper 2 you write 2 essays, while in paper 3, 3 essays. I saw these papers only for short period of time and I cannot deterimne whether they are much more difficult than paper 2, but I'm only on SL :P

And yes, Paper 1 bases mainly on source analysis. You obtain the source booklet with your exam paper.

• 2 weeks later...

In paper 3 you chose one region of study and then 3 options from that, though this is what your teacher probably does for you.

This is not necessarily true, depending on what you mean by region. Your teacher assigns a specific History Aspect, and you must study 3 options out of 12. The exam will have 24 questions, 2 for each topic. You can chose any 3 questions to answer, and you should chose from the questions related to the 3 options you studied (of course). In other words, you will have about 6 questions to chose from. What I mean by not necessarily having to chose a region is that, although you are limited to one aspect (for instance: aspects of the history of europe and the middle east), you could chose very different 3 topics (for instance, the French revolution, post-war developments in the middle east and imperial russia).

Paper 3 tends to be more detailed than paper 2. For instance, if you do WWI in both P2 and 3, you need to know tones more info on WWI for P3 than you would need to know for just P2.

Edited by Julie

Guest Soiboist

In paper 3 you chose one region of study and then 3 options from that, though this is what your teacher probably does for you.

This is not necessarily true, depending on what you mean by region. Your teacher assigns a specific History Aspect, and you must study 3 options out of 12. The exam will have 24 questions, 2 for each topic. You can chose any 3 questions to answer, and you should chose from the questions related to the 3 options you studied (of course). In other words, you will have about 6 questions to chose from. What I mean by not necessarily having to chose a region is that, although you are limited to one aspect (for instance: aspects of the history of europe and the middle east), you could chose very different 3 topics (for instance, the French revolution, post-war developments in the middle east and imperial russia).

Paper 3 tends to be more detailed than paper 2. For instance, if you do WWI in both P2 and 3, you need to know tones more info on WWI for P3 than you would need to know for just P2.

But isn't the division of options in different regions of study, such as America, Europe, Africa etc? Or is your point that a student can chose options from different regions to study?

But isn't the division of options in different regions of study, such as America, Europe, Africa etc? Or is your point that a student can chose options from different regions to study?

Yes the papers are divided in such a way, but even within those papers you have regions. E.g. In the Asia and Oceania Paper, you will have questions specifically asking you about 'South Asia' or 'East Asia' these also can be seen as 'regions'. If you answer a question regarding 'South Asia' with evidence in such as China or Korea, you will gain 0 marks as you have not met the demands of the question. So technically you are both right.

I was looking at samples of P2 and P3 yesterday. Paper 2 is divided into the Topics of study, while P3 is simply a list of 24 questions. On P3, I only knew how to answer about half of them, due to all the topics being represented on that test. It is easier to tell what each section is on P2, although I believe P3 questions are still organized chronologically.

I would also agree that P3 questions appear to be more specific. For example: when P2 would ask about post-WWII alliances, P3 would just ask specifically about NATO.