What should I expect next year for Math

ballet_nyc

Hi, I'm currently in grade nine (I live in Canada), and I decided to go full IB, I'll be starting Honours next year, I usually get pretty good grades, but one thing that worries me is Math H 10 and 20, what should expect? In your experience, what was the hardest topic (in math)?

It depends what level you are taking, Math Studies, SL or HL. With HL the hardest and studies the easiest. From my opinion, studies should be cake unless you forgot everything from primary school. While for SL, there shouldn't be anything hard as it is very straightforward and the questions in the exams are also very straightforward. But for HL, you should consider yourself, if you feel you are good at Maths, try it. As I am taking it and having difficulties, especially 3D vectors, applications of calculus and matrices and trigonometry, which are sometimes very complicated and can be abstract. I hope that this can help you :)

As said above, it depends what level you're doing.

I'm currently doing Standard level maths and it's fine. If you get good grades in maths it shouldn't be too hard. Only do Studies if you don't intend on studying anything remotely maths-related at university. High level I would say only do if you really enjoy maths, as one of your favourite subjects, love doing it and all that. Some of my friends do high level and some of them are considering dropping back as it's a lot of work.

We've done stuff like sequences and series, exponentials, logarithms and functions so far. It's very manageable really.

As already highlighted, it depends on which type of Maths you decide to take. Obviously, Studies would be the easiest option and you shouldn't have that much of a problem with it content wise. For more of a challenge, I'd suggest HL Maths. In HL Maths so far, the content hasn't really been too difficult. Matrices, sequences and series, logarithms (as long as you are familiar with the rules) and functions are not too bad. There are quite a few, in my opinion, boring topics in HL Maths, such as Statistics and Probability. Again, with practice it should be okay. In fact, I think regardless of whether you take Studies, SL or HL Maths it all comes down to you putting the effort in. If you want a good, decent grade you have to work for it. Even in Studies I'm sure, you're not going down an easy lane (regardless of what people say about the subject).

Quote from IB FML: "Math studies... I took the "easy" nature of this course for granted for far too long.. and now the May exams are coming up."

It's just that depending on the level of Maths you wish to take, there's a larger degree of effort you'll need to put in (and that's pretty much obvious really).

One thing I'd like like to again emphasise, is that if you're not a maths kind of person, and more into the Humanities or Art, go with either SL or Studies. Because you should only be taking HL Maths if (a)you need it for University, and (b) if you enjoy it. At the beginning of our HL Maths course, our teacher immediately said to us (we had a class of 20) that if we weren't planning to do anything at University that relates to maths (eg. Engineering), then we should consider moving to SL or Studies. After about a couple of weeks or so, our class of 20 was cut down to only five of us. People had decided that HL Maths wasn't really worth the effort when what they wanted to do in Uni didn't at all relate to Maths.

That's all I have to say for now.

Wish you luck! If you've got any other questions PM me, and I'll try and get back to you.

Edited by nametaken

It depends what level of Maths you'll be doing.

Math Studies: is very easy.

Math SL: straightforward questions and most of the people are taking it.

Math HL: Take math HL if you're planning to do anything at university that relates to math such as engineering.

I'm having problems in some lessons of trigonometry and vectors.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the option to take HL, you should if you're good at it and will study something related to maths.

In my school there's no HL of maths D: , however, I find SL to be pretty straightforward and easy to understand. If you seek for a challenge, there's no reason for hesitating.

I repeat, you should do HL, if you believe it's for you.

At least for me SL is kind of slow, however, I personally love maths and have never had problems with them

Take the topic that you believe that best fits you.