What Option to teach myself?

Maxy1896

hello,

in my class we have covered Astrophysics, and I am not that bad in it. However, there is a big problem (I am session May2011): I have either not been to class, or haven't been listening, so I have to teach myself another whole option. My class rushed through Option G (Electromagnetic waves). But as I said, I wasn't there or wasn't listening, so basically don't know ANYTHING from that Topic.

I am HL, and now I need to teach myself another option besides Astrophysics (E). Do you know any option that you feel is easy enough for a self-study?

Those are the same options I did... I gave up and never understood how those switching circuits work, are they the amplifiers? Last part of the chapter. Definitely why I didn't suggest it, but an otherwise good option too.

As for Waves, once you understand how interference works, esp. single then double-slit, everything else is relatively easy.

Edited by Gene-Peer

Generally Digital Technology is quite easy, but I heard that when it's an SL Option, then it involves thee scary evil amplifiers ;). I'm ready to fail this single question involving the amplifiers, but this matter is really terrible.

So you are saying it would be difficult for an SL student?

My teacher taught taught us A. Sight and Waves B. Quantum? I was just going to study another option just in case the questions for those two are difficult. What other option would be easy to learn (I heard Electromagnetic Waves is similar to the Waves option)?

Edited by MoneyWinker

Not sure what sight and waves covers, but it'd probably be VERY similar, yea...

Electromagnetic waves is not that hard of an option as it is anyway in my opinion. There's a few equations for calculating how far objects are and stuff like that. Also covers magnification of lens and the nature of the two major lens types. And then there are ray diagrams too :D

although i don't do physics, my roommate does it, and she suggested the relativity option.

even though it takes time to get your head around it, the questions are straightforward. they can only ask you so much in that unit.

another unit, if you're interested slightly in biology or something is the medical physics unit.

it's a bit of memorization, but the unit isn't difficult to learn. i've actually learnt that unit even though i don't take physics since i'm interested in going into a medical related course in uni.

Medical Physics is indeed quite easy compared to the others, if you're into biology. If you take a look at the data booklet, you can see that the amount of formulas that are related to astrophysics, communications, etc is nothing compared to medical physics :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would recomend you, if you are a HL student, to do Particle Physics. The only things that could be a pain to understand are quarks, but in general that option is complemented in what you've seen in Quantum Physics.