IB subject choices help

Helen

Hi,

Today my teacher told me that I cannot take German B, because it will be at the same time as Slovak (my Language A1) in timetable, so I have to choose between subjects Economics, Geography and Business and Management. I am really desperate because I have no idea what to choose. (I don't like any of them ).

Please help, I will be very thankful :))

Aww sorry to hear about your timetable :(

I don't know much about geography and B&M but I take economics so I can tell you about that :) In economics you will learn about markets, what affects supply/demand of a good/service, unemployment, trade with other nations just to list a few topics. The theory usually isn't that difficult to learn, but sometimes it is a bit tricky to apply what you learned. It does involve some memorization, but it isn't that bad and it is usually common sense. To be honest I don't find economics to be that interesting either but I had to pick either economics, history, or philosophy so I went with the subject that I thought was best. I guess my situation was kind of similar to yours actually :P

Just note that the syllabus for 2013 exams will change and the economics course will become more mathematical in nature (ie more calculations!). Right now there are few calculations and it is more theory based but I guess that will change... Just something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

I'm sorry about your awful scheduling issues!

I've taken Econ and Geography so I can give you some information on those two.

1. Economics

The economic concepts were very interesting and had seemed very practical. And actually, it did have some mathematical aspects. There were many formulas to memorise, but they all made perfect sense and boiled down to plugging in numbers and solving. Also, if you enjoy studying systems, economic systems are very interesting. We focused on cash flow and other basic economic principles and how real life events effected our economy and the global economy. So, if you're interested in learning about the stock market, budgeting, cash flow, and such you'd really enjoy Econ.

2. Geography.

I really liked Geography. Once you get through the basic stuff, like learning to recognise different countries, it gets really fun. We went really in depth in this subject. We learnt the different ways Geography can affect a region, how geography can change over time, and how to read some ridiculously confusing (but fun) maps. We got into cartography as well, finding patterns in city maps, subway systems, road maps and etc.

Both classes are really informative and really fun, so what it comes down to is what your interests are.

Hope this was helpful,

Peace, Love and Sugar Packets,

OverEasy

• Like 1

Thank you a lot :))

I think I have a better idea what these subjects are about. I don't have any problem with mathematics but I am not really interested in market and stuff like that so maybe Geography would be better for me.

Can I ask you one more question?

What is difference between Math SL and Math Studies? Are Math Studies so easy that it is not worthy to study it?

Guest Soiboist

Thank you a lot :))

I think I have a better idea what these subjects are about. I don't have any problem with mathematics but I am not really interested in market and stuff like that so maybe Geography would be better for me.

Can I ask you one more question?

What is difference between Math SL and Math Studies? Are Math Studies so easy that it is not worthy to study it?

If you don't have any problems with Maths you should definitely take Maths SL, or you'll be bored out during your two years.

What are your other subjects and what do you want to study in uni?

I actually suggest taking Econs. Here at my school there are more people who score well in Econs than those in Geog (by percentage). It's worth studying although it's a bit complicated. Econs IA is said to be the easiest IA in group 3.

B&M is not recommended.

Take either Econs or Geog, depending on what you want to study in uni... but I personally suggest Econs.

• 2 weeks later...

Math SL is much more useful and I would only suggest Studies if you hated math. Universities don't really value Studies and people I've spoken to regret taking the class as they haven't learned much.

Merged:

Also wouldn't you need your second language German B in order to get your IB diploma?

Edited by Keel
Merged post