SAT + Subject Tests vs. ACT

elmar

Does anyone know whether you can omit SAT Subject Tests if you submit your ACT scores to tier 1 colleges?

I previously took the ACT and I did much better than I expected, considering I didn't study at all. I am looking to take it again this year, before IB1 is over, and again in IB2 if necessary. However, on top of studying for that, I would have to study for the SAT and the SAT Subject tests (most likely Biology: E, Spanish, and Math Level 2). If I can use the ACT to override the SAT Subject Tests requirements, it would definitely be a load off my back.

I'm pretty sure all universities will take the ACT in place of the SAT I.

However, some top colleges (examples include Yale and Amherst) will accept the ACT in place of the SAT I AND subject tests. Here is a list:

http://www.compassprep.com/admissions_req_subjects.aspx

Wherever you see the asterisk (*) the university may consider the ACT in place of subject tests. HOWEVER bear in mind that they will usually ask for the ACT PLUS writing. Make sure that you took/take the writing (essay) component of the ACT. If you're thinking of applying to other universities though, I'm afraid you'll have to take the subject tests.