Are my subject courses 'soft' for top unis?

dubyawhy

English A1.2 Lang & Lit HL (Some say this will be considered 'softer' than the traditional Literature Course)

Mandarin B HL

Psychology HL (Is psych considered a 'soft' course compared to say, History?"

Maths SL

Biology SL (Seen as the easy-way-out science?)

French Ab Initio SL (I don't know how unis view ab initio languages)

I'm hoping to go to St. Andrews for International Relations...or Georgetown in the US.

Looks fine to me, although it's quite difficult to predict how Lang & Lit will be seen by universities. In general, there are quite few IB subjects that are actually considered 'soft' in my opinion, as opposed to for example A-levels (with subjects like Media Studies, etc. which are not usually looked at very favorably).

Hi,

I got an offer from St. Andrews for Economics and International Relations of 35. I am predicted a 41 and my personal statement is in the files section. I'm not an admissions expert, so I can't comment on your subjects and I don't know whether there is a correlation between my subject choices, personal statement, predicted grades ect. and the offer. Just wanted to make that information available to you.

I think it's pretty hit and miss with ab initio - I'm doing french ab initio also. I've been told most believe taking a new language at this stage in your education is a good skill, it shows committment as it's harder to do. Otherwise, some believe you're taking the 'easy' option and ask the question why you've not been able to continue a language, although because you also take Mandarin, it probably will be the former.

Biology may have an appearance of being the easy science, but it is harder than percieved. I know a lot of people take this at my school believing the course to be easy (granted I am talking about a levels not IB as there's only 8 of us) and many people drop it after the first year due to poor grades.

The only 'soft' subject is math studies, though even then that's only if youre wanting to do science in uni or applying to oxbridge etc.

I would be more worried about taking a group of subjects you enjoy and think you'll succeed in. At the end of the day, it's your total that counts, as long as you have suitable subjects for the course you wish to do you'll be fine.

Good luck :)

edit: oh and keel I like your signiture :D

Edited by slizzie