Course Selection Help....

Smiley Face

Hello everyone.I am new here and I really need help..

I want to be a Pharmacist\Doctor\Vet ( haven't decide yet), this why I chose to do my undergrad in Psychology which I am really curious about !

Now, I am stuck between Bio and Chem( my school has an option to do grade 11bio in grade 10 because it is easy which I did).I can take them both they fit in the schedule, but the problem is I don't want to add more stress to my self! I am more of a science student. Just really afraid because in the school hand book I read something like IB science courses take 25% of your time! SO I think one is enough. I checked the university I want to go to. Found that I need math, English and one of Chem or Physics.. But now, I am afraid I'll struggle in university if I did not take Bio in grade 12 and I am doing physics correspondence( study it at home without a teacher)

I am doing good in my pre-IB math class..

Any thing that can help? I will REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

First off props on the goal of 39 points.

Second I guess what you're asking is if you should take both chem and bio? My answer would be yes. Dooooooo it. One connects into the other really well especially during the chem options if you do biochem. The labs you do in physics will help you prepare for the labs you do in bio and chem. Promise. Have faith!

Found that I need math, English and one of Chem or Physics.

It said Math SL and not HL, right? Usually if the school doesn't say anything, they accept SL. Most do not accept Studies.

But for the track of a medicine, you should definitely do the Bio-Chem combo. Some kids somehow squeeze all 3 sciences into their schedule, though I would not recommend all of them simultaneously. However, you do have to be comfortable with studying Bio and Chem, as that's the majority of your studies (and Math and Physics and ethical classes and so on...) during medical school.

Seeing as the university requests Chemistry, it might be possible that you would have to take it at the HL level. If so, take Chemistry HL and Biology SL. If you're studying Physics at home, I'm sure that's helpful, for you can always tell the admissions of your university that you have self-studied Physics a bit.

And I've told you this before, but congrats on the 39-point goal. I see myself shooting to the mid-30's. If you work hard enough, you will weep the rewards!

Edited by elmar

Can you drop your History class, take both Bio&Chem HL and take Econs SL? You can stick with your English A HL and Math&Spanish Ab SL. This will prepare you better for a med course or something related to that. I didn't know a Psychology course can make you a doctor/pharmacist/vet but it's your choice. I am sure you will change your mind next year, or at least you will think of studying a different major.

Hey, I just read your other post in another thread. Does your school not offer Chem&Bio HL? That is too bad!! D: most unis will require you to take at least one of those at HL for a med course or something similar.

If that is so, the best combo would be:

HL: English, Spanish, Econs

SL: Math, Bio, Chem

Which is still not good for the major that you want to study. Did the uni website state what level you need to take English, Math and Chem at? Check the prerequisites again, for IB Diploma Program.

If you think that taking 2 sciences will add more stress to yourself, taking 2 humanities is also challenging and taking Math HL can be stressing too. Every IB subject can stress you out. Taking only 1 science doesn't make you not stressed. That 25% thing is a lie. That depends on how well you can manage your time and how long you procrastinate.

I really suggest moving school..or changing the major that you want to study. TBH it is still possible to study that major with those subjects and become a psychologist or whatever, but the chance of you getting accepted in that uni for that course will be much lower. It's all up to you, though. Again it's your choice.. You have to choose whatever is best for yourself. Good luck! :gluck:

Looking at your courses, and how your school does not allow you to take 2 sciences at HL, I would advice you to move Maths and Chem to HL, and dropping 2 of your current HLs to SL. This is because most universities require Chem HL for medicine, plus either another science (or maths for some unis) at HL. Do try to ask your school to let you take another science at HL. If not, you might have to push Maths to HL.

Oh.

Looking at the subjects offered by your school, I would say it would be quite hard to get into medical schools. Then I would say, minimally take at least Chem SL to get some background, and maybe drop a group 3 subject to take bio/physics at SL.

@ShineeLikeMe

I talked to my school counselor, she told me that BIO HL would be offered next year beacuase there some people can't do their diploma.

The 39 goal is just a wish, I know that I can't make more than 36ish. I'll still try :)

Thank you very much for the help...!

@Drake Glau

My school offers only bio HL.. My problem is getting a good diploma score without much stress.. I wanted to do chem HL, but it is not offered because most of the kids don't dare take IB sciences in SL to just think about HL!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I really appreciate your help

@elmar

In their website,it was SL or HL in all of them...So my school offers only English.. but I think it is fine.

I want to drop either Economics or History, I'll ask students that took them this year which one is easier..

Thanks

@Desy ♫

I wanted to take HL chem but only bio is offered.Here in canada, we have to do any major in university, but do prerequsite courses like first yearbio and chem and physics. I am doing Psychology bachelor of science for interests..

Thank you very much for the help :)

I think that you should choose both bio and chem on HL because it is always better to have these two together on hl as I heard.

about time, if you learn quite systematically, you will not have problems I think. I can see it because all of my classmates except one person have chosen these two subjects together. in this group there are girls who learn systematically and not and none of them have problems with these subjects. i think your motivation and will to learn is the key thing and you should take this written something about the time spent on learning biol&chem easy. :) if your future is connected with what you mentioned, you should choose both, in my opinion :)

Edited by zakrzi