I'm not sure whether to do IB or to not?

Smiley Face

Okay, so my problem started when I found out that only 2 candidate are doing full diploma from my school. There is a few people doing certificates..

I am really worried it is going to be a fail, I mean I am not that good at school any way. I am now in grade 10 and not sure whether to take IB or just take a couple of certificates.

My school doesnot have science HL's because nobody is doing them! So,mostly arts and fine aret

I also need to ask you guys who are doing the diploma or have already did it, are you having fun with it?

Edited by Dalia

I suggest taking the full diploma first. Then if you feel that it's too tough, drop some of your difficult classes and go for certificate. :)

My class is a class of 19 and only the 12 of us are taking the full diploma. The other 7 are taking certificate only. In the beginning there were 4 other students but they all moved school, 2 of which left because they can't handle IB any longer even after they dropped to certificate. Many of the certificate students were taking the full diploma but dropped some of their classes (1 or 2 classes). Some of the current full diploma students are subject to being dropped to cert because of their EEs.

IB is tough, but it is worth trying. I don't see why people worry that they will lose before the war even starts. Do you have any choice other than the IB diploma and IB certificate? I guess your school is new to the IBDP..? How did the alumni do? Did they pass with flying colours?

Just take the IB diploma first. After a few weeks if you think that some classes are too tough or you can't handle the workload or you are not doing really well in some classes, drop a class (or 2 classes if you feel like it) and continue with IB certificate. It's not that bad. Good that you will have free periods so you can use the time to do HW or study at school. But if you still want to be challenged, continue with IB diploma and see if you can survive :) I am sure you can drop your classes anytime unless your school has some stupid restrictions. But if you want to start with IB cert and if one day you find out that the university that you want to go to requires you to take the full diploma, you'll find it hard to take up a new class and start with TOK, EE and CAS.

So I advise you to try the full diploma :D and you can drop to cert anytime!

• Like 2

I think that I would recommend doing the full diploma first as well, and dropping some subjects if you don't think you can handle it. I think that the case in my school was that this year, too many took full IB for status but did not have the work ethic or the determination to actually go through with it. We had 22 full diploma students at the beginning and that number has already halved before the year it over. So I think that you should try it out instead of later regretting and thinking, "I should've done [insert subject here] in IB" like some of my friends are doing now.

• Like 2

My personal opinion is that the only way to be successful and have a rewarding experience with the IB Diploma is if you actually want to do it.

Not because your parents are forcing you or because you feel obliged to etc.

IB has its ups and downs but honestly you have to weigh up if its worth it to you, if its not...gtfo while you still can!

• Like 1

Go for the big one! You can always drop down. IB is hard but doable. Just remember to not overload yourself...you can control your workload if you know how. Don't over complicate labs, pick a good EE topic that you know something about already and is "easy" for you, the grader won't know you picked an easy for you topic. Keep the A1 analysis simple...again, don't over complicate stuff.

IB is difficult enough, just remember to not make it worse and it becomes a hell of a lot easier, promise :)

• Like 1

Also, looking at your subjects and your goal amount of points, you seem highly capable of completing the Diploma, granted you are a good student otherwise (i.e. turning assignments in on time, actually studying for tests, not forgetting homework, etc.). Taking Chemistry SL might just be your best choice, at least according to the kids taking Chem SL at my school. As for your other subjects, they seem fit. If you're into humanities, then you're perfectly placed. And 39 points is not hard if you really want them.

Some advice: do your best on all your IB assignments, or the assignments that your teacher says will go to IB. This includes your World Lit papers for English, your IA for Chemistry, your Group 4 Project for Chemistry; everything. And especially, work your hardest on your EE and TOK presentation/essay, for that will bump you up anyway between 1 to 3 points. If you are looking for 39, then that's a majority of receiving 6's in a majority of your classes, with one or two 7's. Again, work hard and it will pay out.

IB is honestly what you make it. If you want the 39, shoot for it. I would love a 45 (perfectionist :hypocrite:) but I know my abilities and my classes set me at a 35-ish, and that's why I work hard in all my classes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest taking the full diploma first. Then if you feel that it's too tough, drop some of your difficult classes and go for certificate...

...So I advise you to try the full diploma :D and you can drop to cert anytime!

I think that I would recommend doing the full diploma first as well, and dropping some subjects if you don't think you can handle it.

Just a warning: Some schools will let you drop your courses if they prove to difficult but in our school (and I would expect others) if you sign up for an IB or AP class you are required to complete it and short of transferring schools there is almost no way to drop the course.

I would check on this before you make your decision

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 2

mmm yeah true, it depends on your school too whether you are allowed to change classes/levels or drop classes or drop to certificate. I believe most schools do allow students to drop to cert anytime, though.

in my school we were only allowed to change classes in the first 3 months of IB1. dropping subject level from HL to SL can be done anytime. upgrading from SL to HL is only possible in the first 3 months too with teacher's consultation. dropping a class can be done anytime and dropping to certificate can be done anytime.

thanks for noting, I should have mentioned that each school may have different policies regarding this :yes:

• Like 1