Should I do the IB...or not?

whippersnapper

Is the IB diploma really worth everything it takes to get to it?

I'm a 10th grader, and I've planned to do the IB program come next year, but I'm starting to have doubts.

As it is, my plan is:

1. English A1 HL (May 2013)
  2. Spanish SL (May 2013)
  3. Math SL (2012)
  4. Biology HL (2013)
  5. History HL (2013)
  6. Theatre SL (2012)
  7. TOK (2013)
  8. EE in zoology (study of my local zoo's contributions to the American elephant program)
  9. I'm an actor, swimmer, and I volunteer at said zoo, so that takes care of CAS.

Well? Is it really worth everything it takes to get there?

P.S. My post high school plans are to take a year off, then either go to college, or go into acting professionally.

Ultimately it's what you make of it. If you enjoy a wide range of subjects and feel that you want a solid, all-rounded education then go for it. If you would rather go more in-depth in fewer subjects then don't, because the IB will feel quite restrictive to your desires.

Over 100,000 people are doing it every year, so surely it's not impossible. You just need to make sure you can manage your time properly (something that can improve over time), and that you're committed to making the best of it.

US universities usually like the IB quite a bit, and it'll give you a fair few course credits, so if you're planning on staying in the US for university then that's an added bonus.

It's worth mentioning that whilst you're in the IB you can hate it with a passion, but when you're done you really appreciate its benefits.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that no North American program/jurisdiction has a curriculum that goes as "in-depth" as the IB in most subjects. AP isn't depth; it's breadth.

However, I would highly encourage you to consider the difference between taking the IB Program and taking the IB Diploma.

The IB curriculums are all fantastic, and absolutely worth taking. Doing all of them just for a Diploma though? Not so much. If I were given the chance to re-do high school again, one of the things I would do different would be to just do basic Math to the minimum requirements for passing high school (which for my district is a full two courses below the IB), and then doing the IB curriculums for every other subject. While I love the content of IB, the Diploma has really not helped me at all in terms of Unis, the EE was just added stress for little gain, CAS is pointless, and Calculus, for someone planning to take Poly Sci, is simply a useless endeavour.

So I would encourage you to take the IB classes for the courses you are interested in. Just don't feel like you have to take the IB Diploma, because it's not an all-or-nothing case like so many people had painted it to me when I was in your position.

In addition to the previous statements, it's also important to take into account where and what you want to do in college. If you plan to remain in the U.S., and want to spend as little time as possible in college (therefore saving time and money), you could take the AP pathway and take as many AP exams to get credit for those. Because, while IB does give you some college credit at college, AP could give you more.

However, if you like being challenged and are not totally sure what you want to study in college, choose IB. You get to choose 6 courses from 6 broad categories and develop your interests and really find out what you like. For example, I had no idea I would enjoy U.S. history; I actually hated learning about the government, but learning about the United States' involvement in Mexico has really interested me. I don't want to study that in college per say, but some people really come out of IB saying "I loved that class so much, I'm going to study it at the college level."

And the universities in the U.S. really do look highly upon IB students, especially Florida and I'm sure a few other states. Some schools in Florida give out scholarships to students who have completed the IB program, and it's not based on the number of points you score, just as long as you pass (24 out of 45 points). While most universities do not look higher upon IB students than AP, it's definitely something to add to your college applications and resume.

If you attend a IB school in a small town, then mostly everyone you go to volunteer with (for CAS and maybe for fun) will also look highly upon you and expect you to be responsible, etc. etc.

Honestly, it's a learning experience. I'm glad I'm in the IB, although sometimes you might see me say otherwise. Regardless of those stressful moments, I feel the IB will not only prepare me for college (having to manage 5+ classes, managing time and scheduling, etc.) but also give me an enjoyable high school experience (you definitely bond with the kids in your IB class, due to the usually low number of students :blum:).

you're going to be taking everything that i'm taking now and i can fully advocate that, while it will be tough, it is definitely worth it.

just be ready for lots of studying time, some stress, and more work than you thought you would ever see.

when deadlines come, its definitely crunch time but if you schedule yourself to what you can humanly do, then you'll be fine.

trust me, i'm taking those classes and you can do it if you set your mind to it.

good luck in whatever you choose.

If you want to go into acting, is IB really neccesary?

However, back-up plans are essential! If you think that IB would greatly benefit you in getting into the college you want, then do it. However, if the course you want doesn't require IB, there is no point 'putting yourslef through IB', so to speak. How essential is IB for your career path? If you are'nt looking for a specifically academic career, then maybe IB isnt the way to go.

If I were you, I wouldn't take the IBDP, given that you are 100% sure and serious on going into acting professionally. I would either go to a national school (take the AP) or just take the IB Certificate.

I know an alumni who is an artist. He took the IB Certificate and now goes to an arts school if I am not mistaken. He's really good at drawing and painting. I heard he did a lot of drawing for CAS (certificate students here need to do CAS too b/c of some school rules) but idk how well he did academically since I don't really know much about him.

I don't think IBDP is worth taking for you as you won't need some of these stuffs as you go into the acting world. It doesn't make you a better actor either. You can still be an as good actor with the AP program, with less stress and more free time (that you can use for acting). If I were you I would go for the AP.

Anyhow, IB Certificate is a good choice too. It's challenging but won't stress you as much as IBDP can. I suggest taking only:

English A HL

Spanish B SL

Math SL

Theatre HL

That's all that I see as worth studying for you. You may take History/Biology HL/SL if you want to challenge yourself more. No need to do TOK nor EE...and not even CAS.

If you want to go to uni, what do you want to study? If it's something related to acting too I still don't see the need to take Bio or History, unless you love and enjoy them.

Anyhow it's all up to you. You can try the IBDP first and drop some classes later. But I don't think IBDP is worth it if you want to go into acting professionally.