Questions about IB

Philovitist

First off, nice forum! I'm impressed by the layout and features. I can't wait to peruse it further.

So. I've been seriously considering taking the IBDP route, a road less commonly taken at my school, mostly because of the logistics involved- the program is situated at another school in our district. I'd say that on a scale of 1 to 5, I'm at a 4 for 'Likely' to go through with it.

That's because for about a week, I've been devoted to gathering info to help with my decision. The CollegeConfidential Forum was the most helpful; there are dozens of pages long debates there on AP vs. IB. I'm in love with the curriculum, the mission, the elitism (I have to admit), the style of the program and that would be enough if it weren't for logistics.

But you all can't help me much in that regard. I just want to get more info, this time from you, an ideal primary source.

Just how rigorous is it? I've read of all-nighters, dead social lives, etc., but I've heard that about APs once, too (though admittedly on a smaller scale). The threat of rigor makes even my nerdy friends keep away from the IBDP. Is it totally unrealistic to want to do things like Track or Student Council or take activistic actions along with it?

My course handbook suggests that I will have time for non-IB classes. How is that possible? How might I handle that? I don't want to take classes that might deflate my GPA or tip my sanity balance.

How will taking a more prestigious program more likely to hurt my GPA affect my plans for college. I want to aim high.

Which courses should I take at HL? How many? English and History are mandatory HLs, and Bio, my favorite science, only has an HL level. But I like math, too, and think SL might be too easy. The other groups only let me do SL. I love them all except the Arts. This one is replaced by my amateuristic obsession with Psychology.

I had more questions but...I forgot 'em. Later, then.

Just how rigorous is it? I've read of all-nighters, dead social lives, etc., but I've heard that about APs once, too (though admittedly on a smaller scale). The threat of rigor makes even my nerdy friends keep away from the IBDP. Is it totally unrealistic to want to do things like Track or Student Council or take activistic actions along with it?

It is not easy, I am not going to lie about that. But, exactly how rigorous it is, I wont be able to tell you that because it depends on your abilities and determination. We all talk about all-nighters, dead social lives..etc, but that's not entirely true. For social lives, you will have one, go to parties, trips..etc. You wont have one if you decided to not have one! As for all-nighters, doesn't happen a lot whoever tells you there's a lot of it in IB is lying.

The only times where you may not have a social life (temporarily) and will have to pull an all-nighter are when you have like two IAs due say..tomorrow and the day after, then you may have to pull one in order to finish them. Same for EEs, though to be honest with you, if you work on it from the beginning and not leave it till the last week or so, then you wont have to pull one. I personally just had to stay up till 3 am or so and even that was only because I was formatting it.

That being said, I should say IB1 is more of a relaxing..getting used to IB sort of year. At least that's what it was for me.

My course handbook suggests that I will have time for non-IB classes. How is that possible? How might I handle that? I don't want to take classes that might deflate my GPA or tip my sanity balance.

How will taking a more prestigious program more likely to hurt my GPA affect my plans for college. I want to aim high.

Many people here take both, so they may be able to help you more with that.

Which courses should I take at HL? How many? English and History are mandatory HLs, and Bio, my favorite science, only has an HL level. But I like math, too, and think SL might be too easy. The other groups only let me do SL. I love them all except the Arts. This one is replaced by my amateuristic obsession with Psychology.

Your subject choices should depend on what you want to study in college.

Normally people take 3 HL and 3 SL, however it's possible to take 4 HL. From your post:

English HL

History HL

Biology HL

Math SL

Psychology SL

XXXXXXXXXX SL

You said you like math, meaning you may consider taking it at HL. I am not saying you wont be able to do it because I don't know your abilities, but keep in mind that the 3 HLs you already have aren't easy ones. Even if you found them easy, they will take a lot of your time. Obviously the last subject has to be a second language..and I guess that's up to you and what your school offers.

What do you want to study in college?

IB definitely isn't that hard. I didn't have to do any all-nighters and things worked out fine for me. When it comes to social life, I kept doing plenty of stuff, going out, partying and all other kinds of stuff, so IB didn't really prevent me doing any of that. In fact, I would say that if you have a balanced social life and do your work sensibly you will probably do better in the IB, than if you just work frantically all the time. Some people did that, and seemed really exhausted by the end of it, whereas I enjoyed my time and was able to put effort into the right things.