'Atonement' IOP

I have an idea for my IOP which is due in about three weeks (or more, I'm not exactly sure). Basically, I would be discussing Imagination vs. Reality and concentrate on Briony because she is the one character that could have the most reference in the books with this theme. My problem is, is this topic good enough for IOP? Or should I do something else but then on the same book seeing as I find it fairly easy (most of my class is doing it on this book). I'm just struggling a little bit. And I mean if I do choose this topic, I still have to figure out how and what to say.

Maybe someone has any better ideas for a topic on 'Atonement'?

Million thanks :)

I just did my IOP couple of days ago, and I think you have to find a topic that interests you.

Can you think of some interesting and perhaps original ideas regarding the book?

I did mine on a tiny little symbol in 1984 and it went great. I got a great mark.

My classmates didn't do too well on theirs because their ideas were really generic and easy to spot.

If you think the novel is easy and heaps of people are doing theirs on the same book,

why don't you try some other book? I would stay away from that book if I were you.

But if you really want to do yours on that book, why not? As long as you find something

very interesting/original/personal, you'll do fine.

You really have to do your best in finding a good topic because topic determines half of your presentation!

Also, the topic should be quite narrow so that you can dig dig dig into it for 10-5minutes and by the end of that time

there is nothing left to say! But take care to show that you do appreciate the more prominent themes in the text and constantly zoom out to a bigger picture.

• 2 weeks later...

The poster above me had some really good suggestions. I agree that you should do a topic that is more narrow. For instance, if you really want to do "Imagination vs. Reality," focus on a few specific points in the book where that is particularly evident and make your topic instead into something like "the growth of Briony's character as illustrated through the change in her creative writing"(sorry, I've only ever seen the movie :P ). Try to do something unique. It's not interesting for the teacher or the audience to listen to the same thing over and over again, no matter how well done it is. So in my personal opinion, I think that if you can, try to do your IOP on a different book.

Be original and fun yet still analytical if you want a really good mark. You want to involve the audience so you need a unique presentation, but at the same time, it has to be relevant and somewhat scholarly so don't do something random or really superficial.

Edited by sous la pluie