Ideas for Design Lab

Bob

Ok so I am assigned with a design lab and the only requirement is that it should be related to heat capacity.

I would say I have understood everything needed for thermal physics (I am doing SL) but I am stuck with no idea where to go...

I have heard that a good physics lab should have 'qualitative data'; like you can establish a relationship from a series of numeric data;

but it seems that the only possibility is a 'quantitative' lab about heat capacity - the heat capacity/ heat loss of different materials, etc.

I just need an idea and I think I am alright; I need one that is easy to write and carry out... argh this is really a hassle to me, I am not a very creative person... :angry:

any help is appreciated :sadnod:

Why don't you try and test the specific heat capacities of different materials (metals perhaps)?

that did come to me right away, but as i have said, the lab would be too 'qualitative'...

anyway, thanks for your help :D

i have come up with an equally good topic! :blum:

something to do with the almost linear relationship between temperature and the heat capacity :yes:

thank you :)

The specific heat capacity of a substance shouldn't change (in general). If you were looking for the effect of X on Y sort of an experiment, why not try something like, how does the amount of thermal energy transfered affect the magnitude of the change in temperature when heating a particular substance (should be linear).

The specific heat capacity of a substance shouldn't change (in general). If you were looking for the effect of X on Y sort of an experiment, why not try something like, how does the amount of thermal energy transfered affect the magnitude of the change in temperature when heating a particular substance (should be linear).

:D

yea you're absolutely right, but I think I will stick to this - it is not necessary that i get it right the first time in my hypothesis

i would probably do something with an emulsified substance (like milk) and see if the heat capacity changes with different temperatures (like i test for 10°C-20°C and 70°C-80°C)

thanks pal

i really appreciate your help :hug: