Switching to HL for second year?

Tensai

Right now I'm in IB Math SL. They didn't offer HL this year, but next year they are offering it. I'm really interested in math and I'm probably going to major in it in college, so I think it would be advantageous to do HL. I talked to my math teacher and he said I could probably switch. Basically, I'd be with the first-year IB students but be doing primarily independent study. Now, I'm not worried about whether I'd be able to handle the additional workload or whatever, math is my strongest subject and I already have a good background in calculus so I shouldn't have any trouble in that regard. But... first, would IB even be okay with switching after a full year in SL? Second, would I be at a significant disadvantage as far as portfolios or whatever go? We've started working on our first portfolio project (Stellar Numbers), but since that's an SL portfolio, would it be able to count if I switched to HL or would I have to do two more portfolios?

Any answers are appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Tensai

If you're good at math as you said and you want to major in it, then math HL would be to your advantage!

Yeah the IB wouldn't mind you switching to HL. Some people take an SL course for a whole year, then take the HL course in IB2. You wouldn't really be at a disadvantage for portfolios; you can finish them with a year of math HL. But are you motivated enough to teach yourself math? Ask yourself this before you decide to take the leap. Math HL is known for its difficulty so yeah :yes: But if you like math you'll be more motivated :no:

You won't be able to count your Stellar Numbers portfolio, since it's a portfolio meant only for SL students. You'll get different portfolios for math HL.

But are you motivated enough to teach yourself math? Ask yourself this before you decide to take the leap. Math HL is known for its difficulty so yeah :yes: But if you like math you'll be more motivated :no:

I think I'm probably motivated enough. I've done an independent study (in computer programming) before and been able to stay motivated, and I do genuinely enjoy learning math.

You won't be able to count your Stellar Numbers portfolio, since it's a portfolio meant only for SL students. You'll get different portfolios for math HL.

Yeah, that's what I was guessing, ah well. Though I suppose it's still good practice regardless!

Thanks!

Edited by Tensai

You have finished your first semester in Math SL right? And now you are in your 2nd semester..? I think it would not be beneficial to switch next year.

Are you the only one who wants to switch to Math HL next year? Is there any possibility for you to switch now? what do you want to study in uni again? Math? I think you should ask your teacher to switch now. Why? You are the only one switching anyway and if you switch next year it might be too late unless you really do self study it and understand it so you know all the HL topics already and IB2 is just revision with your teacher. If you can tell your teacher now that you want to study Math in uni and you need Math HL, I guess your teacher would be willing to give you a private tuition or something, or maybe find another teacher to teach you Math HL now so you won’t be left behind in IB2.

And anyway there is no point of joining the SL class anymore if you think about it…because they might waste weeks to finish one chapter while HL students are rushing because we have many more topics than SL.. that’s why the SL students can relax a bit and take weeks to finish one chapter while we can’t lol. Plus they do not have option topics. We do have one. This is another reason why you need to switch to HL now. I am afraid you won’t be able to finish the syllabus if you just start studying in IB2 instead of from now on..

For the IA, I know a friend who used to be in Math HL but then switched to SL after he finished his Type 1 IA. He does not need to do a new Type 1 SL IA though. But then for your case I doubt it would be the same since you are upgrading from SL to HL. They might then worry about the Type 1 IA. I am afraid you will have to do a Type 1 HL IA. This is yet another reason why you need to switch now.

It would be awesome if you could possibly switch now. Otherwise you are wasting your time, you know… unless you really are going to study independently for this one semester and you can manage the workload while self-studying Math HL. You should try to switch now. My class has covered 4 topics and are about to finish the 5th topic…out of 7 topics (6 core + 1 option). Just want to let you know that in fact we are rushing – not just me trying to freak you out :P

At my school, for every subject HL and SL are combined for IB1. That is every class but Maths and their is a reason for that. HL Maths is simply not just more content. The whole difficulty of the questions are harder and that is the part I think you will struggle with if you choose to swap in IB2. My class even spends 2 hours after school a week with compulsory lessons just so we have time to master the type of questions that might come up. So while, if you are good enough, you may be capable of switching, it will involve A LOT of work since you will basically have to go back over everything you have already done as well as all the new stuff to master all the content.

Though if you need HL maths, go for it. I will be difficult but if you have a teacher that is willing to dedicate a lot of their time to helping you its doable and there is always a couple of us here willing to help if you struggle on any of the concepts.

Good Luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the exact same position as you were!

I think before you make a decision, you should sit down with both the Math SL and Math HL curricula and see the differences and ask yourself if you can see yourself covering the extra stuff in the time you have...because regardless of how talented you are at math, the jump from SL to HL is big

Best of luck!