How do I prepare for a SL exam?

ninetyfour

No one can give a general statement about that really. I mean, some chemistry exams are extremely easy and others are extremely hard.

I did chem HL not SL, but I can tell you that it mostly depends on how well you study and prepare for the exam. It could be so easy, but because you didn't prepare enough or correctly you will say it was so hard and vice versa.

Something else, an exam I find extremely easy may not be as easy for you. Similarly, I can say that exam was so hard, but you find it easy!

Don't let anyone decide if chem SL exams are easy or hard! The question you should ask is: "How do I prepare well for the chem SL exam?"

You get what I mean yes?

Okay, yes I understand. You're right, the question I should now ask is: How do I prepare well for an SL Chemistry exam? (:

Now there's a question!

There are multiple avenues to success here. Some people are not compatible with all methods, so it's essential that you discover for yourself what is the best way for you.

Revision and review are necessary for success. In chemistry, notes are your best friend. Even if it is just standard level stuff, your lecture notes are extremely beneficial. You may want to just reread them over and over again. This is a simple way to review the material.

I would consider making attempts to solve mock questions, and if you can, perhaps taking some mock exams. You should be able to get some of these from your teacher. If not, look online. If you want to purchase a VIP subscription, you can also download test matter off of IBS. Practice questions that mimic the actual exam material are awesome because they give you a feel for what you have to know and how you need to apply it.

If you are priviledged enough to own a textbook that goes over the subject criteria and the Chem SL curriculum, I would read it day and night! Most textbooks are decent, so if you have a detailed grasp of their subject matter, the exam will be much easier. I would suggest annotating it, and possibly even outlining it in your own words (if you have time).

What's more, a standard IB textbook should have past exam questions, which can be solved for extra practice!

Some methods that you could use to enhance your studying/learning capabilities include:

A. If you are a social person who likes to bounce ideas around with others, study groups can be beneficial.

B. I like to just sit and reflect upon what I've learned. That way I can analyze it better, and make connections to other areas of the core curriculum-it's really helpful for me.

C. Try and teach others. Teaching is the most effective means of learning...sounds odd, but instructing people enhances and fortifies your knowledge.

The keys to doing well are revision-as much as possible, and mock questions-as much as you have time for. The way you do so depends on you. There's no set formula for success, but, generally, you should be doing something productive for the class every day.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Edited by Center Field