Wordcount

mia

The wordcount is 650-750 words per commentary. This includes diagrams. But there doesn't seem to be an agreement on what counts as a word in a diagram - does the label 'A' count as a word? Does a number count as a word? Does P1 count as a word? Does Psubsidy count as one word or two words?

Or is this really trivial and not worth thinking about?

No it's not trivial at all actually. Imagine handing in your IA and then being marked down for something like word count :P

Yeah anything you label on a diagram counts as a word. Even if you use 'S' to represent supply on your diagram, then S still counts as a word. But if you use a short form (ex. GPL to represent general price level) then GPL would count as one word. Make sure that somewhere in your IA you state that GPL means general price level though!

So yes, P1 would be one word. As for Psubsidy, I've never used it in an IA but I use Pe to represent equilibrium price in diagrams and I count it as one word. So I guess Psubsidy would count as one word too :hmmm:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My teacher told me as well that all words in diagrams count as well. Even footnotes are supposed to be included in the word count. I haven't found any official document where it says what needs to be included in the count and what can be left out. Incidentally, I was told that in the extended essay words in footnotes and diagrams ARE NOT included in the count, why is that? Does anyone no where it says what needs to be included? Because I was asking myself too with the Ddomestic if this is two words or one word?

The IB is so unclear about what count as a word and what doesn't, it's annoying. The best thing to do if you have a lot of words like Psubsidy where it could count as either one or two words is to write less than the limit of 750 words. When I was doing trade barriers for one of my IAs, the tariff diagram had a lot of words like that so I limited myself to 700 words, just in case the examiners have nothing better to do than to count words... :rolleyes:

Actually my economics teacher told us that IB is changing the syllabus soon so that words in diagrams do not count towards the word count. But since I'm a May 2011 candidate for economics I guess words in diagrams will still count for me :crying:

I'm guessing it would apply to you too?

Edited by Summer Glau