To do, or not to do. that is the question.

J.w. Mutin

Hi I am a student in the US, and will be a Junior next year. I really dont know if i should go into the IB programme or not. Our school just got the programme last year, and I am still not completely sure if i should do it or not. This is my current schedule this year, (not IB).

Algebra II Honors

Chemistry CP

Advanced Art

Modern World History AP

English 10 Honors

AP US Government

French II.

So, I make A's in Modern World, Chemistry, Art, and English, and B's in all of my other courses. (If you are from a different country that uses different terms, please reply and i can fill you in). The question is if i should do IB next year or not. Honestly the only thing that would be holding me back is French, because I would have to take Spanish ab initio in IB. I really dont mind taking this as an SL, but i really love French at the same time, and would like to become fluent in it. I am trying to get my French grade up to an A, and if that happens I am going to ask her to let me study French III over the summer and take French B SL. I am still not sure if she would let me do this because in all honesty, I am not very good at memorization. Here is my lineup for IB next year. (if i do it).

Math Studies SL

Physics SL

Art HL

History of the Americas HL

English HL

Spanish ab initio SL (or maybe French SL)

My school also offers AP courses (obviously) the only problem is that i HATED the AP classes that i was in this year. The teachers did not tell us anything and instead expected us to study for the test on our own. All of the facts in these courses are just pure memorization. I hear that the IB is different, in that you learn from your teachers, and they also teach you how to think, answer questions, and just be a better student in general. Is this true? If you have any help, or comments please post a comment. Thank You!!!

If you're doing Algebra II now, you should be able to manage Math Methods SL next year instead of Studies. Studies is horrible and frowned upon. They learn the prime numbers and converting dollars into euros. Then again, SL is actually fairly challenging.

ALSO, Art in IB is much much much more demanding than whatever that is you're taking. IB Art is much harder compared to AP Studio Art, and what you're taking doesn't even seem to be studio art. If you do Art HL in IB, try to take some of your courses in 1 year if your school offers it, because then you have the second year to devote to art.

You should be able to take French SL next year...I don't know why you aren't. Taking ab initio in a language you have NEVER studied before is harder than taking B SL in a language you've studied for a meager 2 years.

IB is very different. Final exams account for only about half of your grade (some even less). The rest is coursework and IAs. Because of this dependence on actual WORK throughout the year, IB workload is about 3 times the workload of AP imo.

Is English 10 Honors equivalent to AP English Language? Because English HL, I would say, is quite a bit harder than AP English. Unless you're ready to take an equivalent(or harder) course than AP English next year, don't take HL. Do SL.

Oh, and since you're doing chem shouldn't you do IB Chem instead of physics?

If you're doing Algebra II now, you should be able to manage Math Methods SL next year instead of Studies. Studies is horrible and frowned upon. They learn the prime numbers and converting dollars into euros. Then again, SL is actually fairly challenging.

ALSO, Art in IB is much much much more demanding than whatever that is you're taking. IB Art is much harder compared to AP Studio Art, and what you're taking doesn't even seem to be studio art. If you do Art HL in IB, try to take some of your courses in 1 year if your school offers it, because then you have the second year to devote to art.

You should be able to take French SL next year...I don't know why you aren't. Taking ab initio in a language you have NEVER studied before is harder than taking B SL in a language you've studied for a meager 2 years.

IB is very different. Final exams account for only about half of your grade (some even less). The rest is coursework and IAs. Because of this dependence on actual WORK throughout the year, IB workload is about 3 times the workload of AP imo.

Is English 10 Honors equivalent to AP English Language? Because English HL, I would say, is quite a bit harder than AP English. Unless you're ready to take an equivalent(or harder) course than AP English next year, don't take HL. Do SL.

Oh, and since you're doing chem shouldn't you do IB Chem instead of physics?

The reason i would do Math studies is because math is not a class that i am strong in AT ALL. I really should of been in the College Prep class this year, but instead i chose to challenge myself. (a bad choice). I am trying to get my teacher to let me take SL, but he thinks i would be better off in Studies. Any thoughts?

The Art class i am in now is very much like IB Art HL. I have to do 4-5 long term pieces a year in that class, and i take a sketchbook home with me, which i do at least 1 drawing a week in. No my school does not offer 1 year classes. So, i think i could handle Art HL, because i have talked to the other students in it now. I am not, at all worried about Art. Also, even if they did offer 1 year courses, i would not take it because Art HL is one of the main reasons for me taking IB.

I really want to take French SL next year, but it will be hard to convince my teacher. If i can pull an A this semester, i am fairly sure she will let me.

I am really good in my English class. It is not AP, but that is because they do not offer AP english 10 at my school. As far as i know, english is not a problem according to the students this year. The only reason that i have a B now is because my english teacher has no clue what she is doing. Honestly, they hired her this year and she is terrible. This is one more reason for me to do IB, because if i do IB, i can get away from her and take a class with the best English teacher in the school.

I dont know if i should do IB chem, because the teacher that teaches SL Chem and Bio is a terrible teacher. Her class is really easy, but it is too easy. The students in that class say that they do not learn that much, so they will not be prepared for the exams.

Well if you don't feel comfortable with math you definitely shouldn't take physics as it is rather mathematical. I still think that any thinking person should be able to manage math sl, it is not that hard and math studies is a joke.

I'd say that from my experience great teachers can be great, but poor ones shouldn't hinder you that much. Anyway, IB is quite a lot about being able to figure things out for yourself. That is a useful skill especially for university. I learned most of m stuff in the IB by myself and didn't even really go to that many classes. But if you're someone who relies very much on teachers I'm not sure if IB is the thing for you.

Guest Soiboist

Obviously there is no teacher in the world that can predict whether you'll manage Maths SL and French B SL or not, it all comes down to your motivation and thus how much work you're willing to put in. It certainly is possible for anyone though.

I agree with the above.If you're not good in maths, don't take physics even at standard level as at SL there is maths involved too (I do higher physics, and have to sit through SL classes as well). It all comes down to you, and how you feel about taking on a new challenge, about taking on the IB. No-one can decide and should decide for you, it's your decision and yours alone. Bear in mind though (and I'm not trying to scare you or anything), even if you take maths studies, you cannot fail it, as you would have then failed the IB.

Good luck!!