Teaching myself Physics?

Bayloun

Hey guys,

So i've been doing terribly in chemistry this year, and am interested in switching to physics. However, my IB coordinator isn't letting me based on the fact that they have apparently already taken too much material.

So, I've decided to teach myself everything they've learned so far, and then take a test to prove that im capable of taking physics.

My question is- is this possible? or is physics too hard to comprehend on my own? If it is possible, any tips?

I'm basically doing that with both physics (sl) and chemistry (hl) and it's alright. It's good to have several different sources to read things - I have a physical textbook, another textbook on my laptop, and two different study guides for both subjects - because each one will have information in a different form, and different selections of additional (complementary) information (eg real-life examples) ... go for it I guess.

HL or SL? For how long have you started the course? When are your exams? Did you ever study Physics before? Are you good at Math?

Switching subjects might not be that easy unless you studied Physics before and did well at it. If you are taking Chem SL just stay, it might be hard in the beginning but if you have studied it before some topics are actually easy.

However Phy is said to be a hard subject. It's very subjective, though. If you have studied Phy before, the first few topics (those that you missed) might not be that hard. However I know many people who have studied Phy for so long and yet are failing IB Physics SL. I personally find it hard to self study Phy, unlike Econs probably. But it's very subjective. It's rather risky to switch subjects if it's too late.

Anyhow good luck. I suggest you to stay in Chem.

HL or SL? For how long have you started the course? When are your exams? Did you ever study Physics before? Are you good at Math?

Switching subjects might not be that easy unless you studied Physics before and did well at it. If you are taking Chem SL just stay, it might be hard in the beginning but if you have studied it before some topics are actually easy.

However Phy is said to be a hard subject. It's very subjective, though. If you have studied Phy before, the first few topics (those that you missed) might not be that hard. However I know many people who have studied Phy for so long and yet are failing IB Physics SL. I personally find it hard to self study Phy, unlike Econs probably. But it's very subjective. It's rather risky to switch subjects if it's too late.

Anyhow good luck. I suggest you to stay in Chem.

Thanks for the feedback...

I'm trying to get into Physics SL, and im around 5 months into the year by now. My IB exams are May 2012.

I've always had a more analytical mind, and i'm even in Math HL, which is the main reason i want to switch.

I guess i'll just try out a few chapters and see how well i can understand them.

Thanks again :P

Last year I took physics SL...because of a scheduling error I had to test out in one year, and our teacher was nonexistent (he was lazy and never taught us anything) so I ended up teaching myself everything. I scored very well, so I am sure you can.

My school couldn't afford textbooks, so I only had one that I bought myself...so actually if you are determined I know you can do well! :D

Just study a lot with people in the class :)

And don't be afraid to ask for help!

My only concern is will taking the test prove to the coordinator that you are worthy?

But I wish you luck! Go for it! :P

For any other class I'd say this is a great idea- for many classes it's really easy to completely ignore everything that happens in the class and brush up on it yourself. But physics has a couple really difficult sections and stuff that might give you a lot of trouble. I think it's probably pretty doable provided you have some buds in physics to help you out.

Thanks for the feedback...

I'm trying to get into Physics SL, and im around 5 months into the year by now. My IB exams are May 2012.

I've always had a more analytical mind, and i'm even in Math HL, which is the main reason i want to switch.

I guess i'll just try out a few chapters and see how well i can understand them.

Thanks again :lc:

Ohh if that's the case then I don't see any reason for you not to switch to Physics SL :lc: switch as soon as possible, before it's too late! I guess you might have missed about the first 3-4 chapters. Forces might be a bit confusing but waves is not that complicated :P and your Math HL will guarantee you to survive Phy :D

Ok good luck! You can ask any questions in the Phy forum as well if you are stuck :lc::)

You can teach yourself chapters 1-5. 2 people in my phys class did it over the summer so we could skip the first year of SL (our school split it into 2 years to give us more time since there is no HL option :)) and it wasn't too difficult to get caught up. I would say that electricity/power/circuits is the hardest topic if you would like to take a look :P This is excluding the options however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...