Subject Combination Help

pear.babe

Ok so I've started my IB DP and I'm almost half way through the first year

(OMG it goes so fast!!)... So I'm not like dying in any subjects but I just have

a couple of question's: bear in mind that i really want to do medicine- so

i'm looking for 43+

My subjects are currently: HL bio, HL chem, HL english A1

SL maths, SL economics, SL french B

I'm not struggling in chemistry or anything, but the teacher is not very good

and I've heard that doing 2 HL sciences is a tad crazy. I've never done economics

before and for some reason I'm like super good at it (not to brag or anything) so I'm not sure

whether I should go for SL chem and HL economics... which is less work and will be more beneficial

for me? (Keep in mind my goal to do medicine).

Second question: would I benefit from doing maths studies SL? I'm not completely

lost in maths SL but I have to have tutoring every week to make sure i get it 100%.

Would it be better to do maths studies SL so that I can spend more time on other subjects?

thanks in advance!

(that is such a long post... oh lord...)

If you actually read that- congrats!

before you choose to change your subjects make sure that they are going to be accepted in the universities that you'll apply for.

it's not crazy to take to sciences in HL, you just really need to study hard because they are both challenging. my sister took Bio and Chem HL and scored 7 in both of them.

wow, you are very impressive 43+ ???? O.o

i think it would make a difference if you go from SL math to Studies SL, IF you are applying to a high top rated universities, you'll be surprised that they normally ask for SL or HL.

medicine NEEDS both chem and bio. and for my sister she had to take both in HL

good luck

Edited by breena
  • Like 1

If you are looking to do medicine in Australia, then I think you will be hard to find one that accepts maths studies. If you want to do medicine and are going alright in SL, stick with it or you may regret. I would think the only circumstance where changing to studies would be beneficial is if you are in serious danger of failing SL, and if you are, then you are going to find it hard to get into medicine straight away.

Ok so I've started my IB DP and I'm almost half way through the first year

(OMG it goes so fast!!)... So I'm not like dying in any subjects but I just have

a couple of question's: bear in mind that i really want to do medicine- so

i'm looking for 43+

My subjects are currently: HL bio, HL chem, HL english A1

SL maths, SL economics, SL french B

I'm not struggling in chemistry or anything, but the teacher is not very good

and I've heard that doing 2 HL sciences is a tad crazy. I've never done economics

before and for some reason I'm like super good at it (not to brag or anything) so I'm not sure

whether I should go for SL chem and HL economics... which is less work and will be more beneficial

for me? (Keep in mind my goal to do medicine).

Second question: would I benefit from doing maths studies SL? I'm not completely

lost in maths SL but I have to have tutoring every week to make sure i get it 100%.

Would it be better to do maths studies SL so that I can spend more time on other subjects?

thanks in advance!

(that is such a long post... oh lord...)

If you actually read that- congrats!

That is not long at all, we've seen longer. <_<

Okay, so my answer to your first question:

In my opinion, absolutely no.

Doing 2 sciences at HL is not tad crazy..it's not even crazy. You want to study medicine, I'm assuming you're very smart and good in school. I am 100% sure it's not going to be difficult. In fact I would have been shocked if you told me you're doing Chem SL and want to go to med school. I am not talking about whether unis accept it or no, I am talking about what you learn throughout the year.

If you can't handle Bio and Chem HL in IB, then I doubt you'll be able to cope with the work load in med school. Biology HL I assume is something you find interesting and like a lot, so no problem in that. Chemistry HL, come on I am sure you can handle it.

There's a big difference between Chem SL and HL. SL is insanely easy it will do you no good in medicine. Doing Economics at HL and Chem SL will not be more beneficial for you. For me you want to go to med school and aiming for a 43? You do Chem HL and Bio HL.

Besides you cannot imagine how helpful Chem HL is in the beginning of your medical studies. My first semester was all a recall of what I did in Chemistry HL (only in french). It made my start very easy and I didn't stress at all in that semester. Especially the organic chemistry. The HL part and the HL Further organic options are very good in terms of preparation. Note also the connections between Bio HL and Chem HL, everything just makes sense. I believe you'll be lost if you go to med school with Chem SL only.

You're doing economics and enjoying, that's great. But it's not worth taking it at HL if you want to go to med school! It's going to take a lot of your time and you need to concentrate on it since it's HL subject. You do not have time for that.

I understand when you talk about having a bad teacher, but don't switch to SL just because the teacher is bad. Your professors in med school may be the same or even worse, but you have to cope with it in any way possible. You have a horrible chem teacher? It sucks, but no big deal, get a good book if you can and a copy of the syllabus from here and just go point by point, making sure you understand every bit. If you already have a good text book and/or study guide (preferably Geoff Neuss's books), then that's great. If you don't and can't buy it ask around here, we have a help thread for Biology and Chemistry and we can help you with everything. Why am I saying all this? Because I can imagine how you'll be in med school with Chem SL only.

My answer to your second question:

Once again, please don't.

Math studies will get you no where and it's nothing compared to SL. So what if you need a tutor to get 100%? I didn't get a tutor and I didn't always get a 7, I was actually a 5/6 all the time, but I still didn't drop to studies! I don't think any uni whatsoever is going to accept you with math studies. If you're not failing math SL, don't switch to studies.

(Same for Chem SL actually, but I am more concerned about your chem learning then about the acceptance.)

You can trust what I am saying because I've been through this. I know because I am in med school and I know how important it is to have Chem and Bio HL.

If you want my honest opinion on your subject combination? It's absolutely perfect for med school applications.

• Like 1