Controlling pressure exerted on a pipette.

BronxNerd

Hye! I need to know of a way to control the amount of pressure exerted on the pipette, because it's one of my control variables for my design lab due tomorrow! I would also like to know if there is a website that features the ingredients/chemical compounds in household items, like Drano, Honey, Ketchup, and Olive Oil? Thanks in advance!

You would simply state that the experiment would be carried out at a constant atmospheric pressure, that of the lab (1 atm). (Unless of course the pressure in your lab constantly changes <_<) As for the chemical compounds for household items, I think it would be very hard to find a source that will tell you that, as the chemical compounds can vary from product to product.

I’m not sure I follow, maybe I'm misunderstanding you. You would normally use a pipette bulb or pump to suck up the liquid, the liquid will then drop out when the pressure in the bulb or pump returns to normal (ie you let air into the bulb). Why this counts as a control variable I’m not sure.

Hmm...well the pressure will definitely be constant because the pressure exerted on the pipette is the same as the atmospheric pressure. When you say the 'pressure used' what do you mean? How are you using pressure? To me the only control variable valid to a pipette is the volume used, same pipette ect. What experiment are you doing by the way, maybe that will help?

did you mean a dropper? if yes, maybe you should try using pinch clamp, the thing at the bottom in the figure below

205.jpg

I think it can help a little bit to control the pressure in a dropper.

the pressure exerted when using the pipette filler bulb does not affect the volume of solution in the pipette as long as your reading is exactly on the line thing and there is no parallax error.

• Like 1

Depends on his experiment.. if he's testing how much liquid is sucked up by a certain (constant) pressure then all your answers are completely useless. If you want to keep pressure exerted rather than the amount of liquid pulled up constant, you probably need one of these: how much pressure is exerted is logically proportionate to the amount of air removed, which you can regulate, most easily, by always removing the maximum amount of air (in the diagram you pull the white bit at the top all the way up). Controlling it with a bulb filler is harder but you can try to "press" it exactly the same number of times with the same intensity -- if the manual controller isn't available, this will be a source of uncertainty.

But like I said, it depends on the experiment. Most common experiments, Desy's answer would be correct..