Cuba: Castro, Kennedy, Khrushchev

vivo per lei

This topic is dedicated to Cuba—Castro in the 'Origins and development of authoritarian and single-party states'.

Major themes

Origins and nature of authoritarian and single-party states

• Conditions that produced authoritarian and single-party states

• Emergence of leaders: aims, ideology, support

• Totalitarianism: the aim and the extent to which it was achieved

Establishment of authoritarian and single party states

• Methods: force, legal

• Form of government, (left- and right-wing) ideology

• Nature, extent and treatment of opposition

Domestic policies and impact

• Structure and organization of government and administration

• Political, economic, social and religious policies

• Role of education, the arts, the media, propaganda

• Status of women, treatment of religious groups and minorities

Hi people,

Right now we are studying authoritarian leaders and single-party states and we are assigned one leader to present about. Our presentations will be a major grade for the quarter, so this presentation is very important for me. It is due on 22 February 2010.

I am assigned Fidel Castro, and I have to present the following topics:

• His ideology
  • How he transformed Cuba into a single-state party? (what has he done to achieve it?)
  • System of terror (did he use any force on people, like Hitler's Brown Shirts/secret police)
  • Did he have a complete control of means of communication?
  • Did he have the control of army and the weapons?
  • His economic policies

I began researching, however my teacher wants me to find websites that are .org; .edu and for the other websites I need his confirmation. I found several websites, but more info is always better.

So, what can you guys tell me about the points listed above?

I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance!

You should definitely go for book information before the internet. See if you can somehow get ahold of these from a library or maybe online. They may have some useful information:

Philip W. Bonsal: Cuba, Castro and the United States

Wayne S. Smith: The Closest of Enemies: A personal and diplomatic account of U.S.-Cuban relations since 1957

Also, ask your teacher if they have some good historiography you could borrow, or some really good text books that outline information such as Castro's economic policies.

You should definitely go for book information before the internet. See if you can somehow get ahold of these from a library or maybe online. They may have some useful information:

Philip W. Bonsal: Cuba, Castro and the United States

Wayne S. Smith: The Closest of Enemies: A personal and diplomatic account of U.S.-Cuban relations since 1957

Also, ask your teacher if they have some good historiography you could borrow, or some really good text books that outline information such as Castro's economic policies.

I completely agree here. Histography is an essential part to look into if you want to do well. And don't just look at websites, but books contain a wealth of knowledge. Some say that books are often way better than the rubbish that some websites churn out. Remember, to take into account the credibility of the source that you use. For example, if you go to a communist website, then I think that they're bound to portray Castro as, the 'bees knees'. But if you do look at that site, bear in mind that it contains an element of bias, and maybe try and counteract that with another bias, and analyse the important details and similarities that emerge from both sources.

Have fun...and good luck!!!

Hi people,

Right now we are studying authoritarian leaders and single-party states and we are assigned one leader to present about. Our presentations will be a major grade for the quarter, so this presentation is very important for me. It is due on 22 February 2010.

I am assigned Fidel Castro, and I have to present the following topics:

• His ideology
  • How he transformed Cuba into a single-state party? (what has he done to achieve it?)
  • System of terror (did he use any force on people, like Hitler's Brown Shirts/secret police)
  • Did he have a complete control of means of communication?
  • Did he have the control of army and the weapons?
  • His economic policies

I began researching, however my teacher wants me to find websites that are .org; .edu and for the other websites I need his confirmation. I found several websites, but more info is always better.

So, what can you guys tell me about the points listed above?

I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that will hopefully help :P Click on topic 3 study guide. http://jhs.managebac.com/classes/10025862/assets

Edited by Juanito