How to write a perfect lab report?

clever500

You can always look through the Experimental Science forum to see tips. One can be found here

We have IA samples in the Files section and you can always purchase a VIP subscription in order to access those files.

The right answer to your question is to follow whatever is written in the syllabus, really.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm commenting on an old topic, but this question does seem important

To optimize your IA mark...its important to have the rubric next to you when you're writing up the lab. When designing the experiment, it is not so much the question you propose that brings marks down, it is how your procedure is set up...it has to be clear. How I approach this is to write it so that if a student not taking chemistry can replicate the experiment. Also, be sure to include your control variables!

For DCP, qualitative data is just as important as quantitative data so do not omit it. Also, be careful with uncertainties and units. If you're cautious, this section shouldn't be too hard to score a 6/6

As for conclusion, it should act as a synthesis of everything you've included from the beginning of your report. The conclusion should also mention limitations and improvements that could be made to the experiment.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, PM me...my IA mark total in Chem is 45/48 :)

• Like 1

When designing the experiment, it is not so much the question you propose that brings marks down, it is how your procedure is set up...it has to be clear.

Although you've correctly stated that you should design the experiment according to the mark scheme, I'm not sure why you stated the above and I'll have to take issue with that. Aspect 1 of a design mark scheme for 2/2 states "Formulates a focussed problem /research question and identifies the relevant variables". Even if your procedure is flawless, you will only gain full marks for Aspect 3 "Developing a method for collection of data". So your research question does indeed determine whether you will get full marks or not.

As for conclusion, it should act as a synthesis of everything you've included from the beginning of your report. The conclusion should also mention limitations and improvements that could be made to the experiment.

The CE (conclusion and evaluation) is split up into two parts as the title implies. The conclusion should state the 'science behind the experiment', you will use the theories you have learned to interpret the data (this is Aspect 1 of the CE). Aspects 2 and 3 are combined into an evaluation. Aspect 2 is to do with criticising the weaknesses in the experiment. Aspect 3 is to do with suggesting improvements for the experiment.

From what I've heard from different people who've done HL chem, they mostly lose marks for the design of the actual experiment rather than the research question and variables. They are important and I'm sorry that I said otherwise.

Ans as for the conclusion, I should've elaborated on Aspect 1