Subject combination

Guest Soiboist

Guest Soiboist

I have some problems concerning my IB choices and would therefore like some help. I really like the social sciences and the less mathematical sciences such as Biology, and would therefore like to study something related to those later. For the social sciences I would like to study something like International Relations, International Politics, PPE, Law etc. Hell, anything of that kind of stuff really. When it comes to the sciences I would like to study something that as I said before, is less mathematical in nature than for example Physics. I've looked at Biology, Neurobiology, Psychology (not the kind of social Psychology as in the IB curriculum though) and those kind of things, most of them however related to Biology in some way. The subject combination I came up with then was as follows:

History HL

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

Economics SL (extra certificate)

Blaba irrelevant languages SL

Maths SL

It looks like that I would be able to study most of above-mentioned courses as the social science-ones seems to be quite open to those that have studied natural sciences. I'm not sure how I would motivate to the university that I've studied two sciences at HL though, and I'm afraid that they would reject me because of that. Also I'm concerned about that I'm looking too much like a medical student.

What's your advice thinking about the subjects and university offers, and the subjects and my interests?

I have some problems concerning my IB choices and would therefore like some help. I really like the social sciences and the less mathematical sciences such as Biology, and would therefore like to study something related to those later. For the social sciences I would like to study something like International Relations, International Politics, PPE, Law etc. Hell, anything of that kind of stuff really. When it comes to the sciences I would like to study something that as I said before, is less mathematical in nature than for example Physics. I've looked at Biology, Neurobiology, Psychology (not the kind of social Psychology as in the IB curriculum though) and those kind of things, most of them however related to Biology in some way. The subject combination I came up with then was as follows:

History HL

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

Economics SL (extra certificate)

Blaba irrelevant languages SL

Maths SL

It looks like that I would be able to study most of above-mentioned courses as the social science-ones seems to be quite open to those that have studied natural sciences. I'm not sure how I would motivate to the university that I've studied two sciences at HL though, and I'm afraid that they would reject me because of that. Also I'm concerned about that I'm looking too much like a medical student.

What's your advice thinking about the subjects and university offers, and the subjects and my interests?

You cannot have that combination because you are missing a second language. You have two sciences and two social sciences, but not a second language...

Look closely at the languages in plural and the (extra certificate) after Economics.

Mmm... I see... I think the subject combination is fine than, seeing as you aren't too into the mathematical sciences. Chemistry is more mathematical than biology, but less than physics, so if you really want to chose two sciences, those are the best choices (the ones you have chosen). If you are looking at International relations and the like, maybe History at a SL would be better and bump Economics to an HL?

Guest Soiboist

Look closely at the languages in plural and the (extra certificate) after Economics.

If you are looking at International relations and the like, maybe History at a SL would be better and bump Economics to an HL?

Really? Could you explain that? I personally think of History as more political in nature and would thus be more related to those social sciences courses I've been looking at. The extra Economics was more as a way of getting the basics of it.

I would really appreciate more advice though, especially about how universities look at people applying for social science courses that have done natural sciences. I mean if I wouldn't apply later to any natural science course, wouldn't my 2 HLs be a complete waste?

Well... let me rethink what I have said... Now when I think a little harder, both seem equally important, maybe even history more so than economics. For some reason I just relate economics to those fields, but now that I think about it, that is a misconception I have. Hmm... keep History at HL. But more advice: if you plan on going into social sciences at university, I would suggest taking both economics and history at the HL level and dropping either chemistry or biology to an SL level. Also, if you are applying to universities which require the IB Diploma, you need to check their requirements for studying a social science, then see if your choice subjects fr IB match up with the universities requirements. If it doesn't you'll have to flex some things.

I would really appreciate more advice though, especially about how universities look at people applying for social science courses that have done natural sciences. I mean if I wouldn't apply later to any natural science course, wouldn't my 2 HLs be a complete waste?

Yes it would be a complete waste!! Do ask your IB coordinator. For now, just take HL History, Econs, Bio and Chem plus SL Math and languages. Since you have 7 subjects, I believe your school would allow you to drop your 7th subject if you feel like it. So the important thing is actually to decide first what you want to study in uni. I think uni prerequisites is the most important thing you need to consider, and the 2nd most important thing is your interests and passion.

If you are undecided yet with what you want to study in uni, just go with 7 subjects first. By the time you start studying them you will know which you are doing well at and which that you feel is a bit irrelevant to what you want to study in uni or not of your interest. Then you can just drop that subject! :crying:

I would advise you not to take Econs HL btw. Go for SL if you still want 7 subjects but 3 HL+4 SL. The new Econs course will be very mathematical so I don't think you'll like it.

Btw are you going to do English A or English B? If you are doing English B, I would suggest at HL.

However, TBH I would actually just go with:

Language A SL

Language B SL, or HL if possible

History HL

Biology SL, or HL if you want

Math SL

Economics HL

Guest Soiboist

Well yeah that's the thing, I've checked universities and they don't seem to require anything in most cases, usually they just say something like, for example PPE; "History or Mathematics to Higher Level would be useful, but is not required." So the entry requirements are fine but what I wonder is if they really accept people that have focused so much at natural sciences when they're in fact applying to social sciences. Also I'm thinking about the interviews and personal statement where I will have to motivate my subject choices.Then again I am thinking about applying for studying Biology or something similar aswell, and then I would need the two sciences.

Choices, choices.

Well yeah that's the thing, I've checked universities and they don't seem to require anything in most cases, usually they just say something like, for example PPE; "History or Mathematics to Higher Level would be useful, but is not required." So the entry requirements are fine but what I wonder is if they really accept people that have focused so much at natural sciences when they're in fact applying to social sciences. Also I'm thinking about the interviews and personal statement where I will have to motivate my subject choices.Then again I am thinking about applying for studying Biology or something similar aswell, and then I would need the two sciences.

Choices, choices.

What Desy said is really good advice. She's IS the one to talk to about that stuff. As far as the unis go- i don't know what to say, I'm surprised. Maybe your IB coordinator could get a hold of more detailed info from the colleges of your choice, or you could even contact the school yourself and see if they could email any requirements to you (if any)?

Thanks Jules!

You are so cute :( wanting to study various courses that are kind of..totally different haha :crying: if that's the case, are you capable to do Math HL? Math SL might be very demanding for you already since you like the less mathematical sciences.. so I guess Math SL will do. No need to challenge yourself with Math HL.

What are the courses you are thinking of studying, again? I am very sleepy and my brain is not working that well so perhaps you could just put a list of courses you are interested in studying in uni.

So I'd go back to my first suggestion, go with your 4 HL plus Math and languages SL and then when the time comes (i.e. when you have decided what you want to study in uni) you drop one of your HL subjects :) so you will have 3 HL+3 SL, the normal diploma combination.

• Like 1

Guest Soiboist

Yes it would be a complete waste!! Do ask your IB coordinator. For now, just take HL History, Econs, Bio and Chem plus SL Math and languages. Since you have 7 subjects, I believe your school would allow you to drop your 7th subject if you feel like it. So the important thing is actually to decide first what you want to study in uni. I think uni prerequisites is the most important thing you need to consider, and the 2nd most important thing is your interests and passion.

If you are undecided yet with what you want to study in uni, just go with 7 subjects first. By the time you start studying them you will know which you are doing well at and which that you feel is a bit irrelevant to what you want to study in uni or not of your interest. Then you can just drop that subject! :)

I would advise you not to take Econs HL btw. Go for SL if you still want 7 subjects but 3 HL+4 SL. The new Econs course will be very mathematical so I don't think you'll like it.

Btw are you going to do English A or English B? If you are doing English B, I would suggest at HL.

However, TBH I would actually just go with:

Language A SL

Language B SL, or HL if possible

History HL

Biology SL, or HL if you want

Math SL

Economics HL

Wow, great post! :)

I agree with you, and it would be so easy if I just knew what I wanted to study. When I think about Biology and Chemistry I mostly think of that I would like to doctorate or research in a certain area of the science. Could be Neurobiology, Psychology, Evolution, or other branches of Biology mostly. But then, isn't that pretty much the only thing that you could do; research within the subject? Or at least that is relevant to the subject, I know that they're quite flexible in the UK and that you could work with something completely different, but that would take away the whole point of studying it.

With the social sciences I would more like to work on an international level, could be with Politics, maybe Law etc. I'm sure that I like those subjects and also it seems that there are a lot more work possibilites, am I right? Then again I'm not sure about Economics as I haven't studied it before, if it it's getting more mathematical it's maybe more for those prospective Investment Bankers, actually I have no idea hahaha. The only subject that thus would seem really relevant is History (I would definitely take Philosophy if it was offered and more generally accepted) and then I would have those 2 HL spots that could be filled with sciences.

Anyway I'm taking two A languages.

Thanks Jules!

You are so cute :( wanting to study various courses that are kind of..totally different haha :crying: if that's the case, are you capable to do Math HL? Math SL might be very demanding for you already since you like the less mathematical sciences.. so I guess Math SL will do. No need to challenge yourself with Math HL.

What are the courses you are thinking of studying, again? I am very sleepy and my brain is not working that well so perhaps you could just put a list of courses you are interested in studying in uni.

So I'd go back to my first suggestion, go with your 4 HL plus Math and languages SL and then when the time comes (i.e. when you have decided what you want to study in uni) you drop one of your HL subjects :( so you will have 3 HL+3 SL, the normal diploma combination.

**** another post while typing

Yeah I may appear cute in text but you should see me in real life! I have no idea how I should interpret that lols. I hope you're a girl anyway.

I think I answered you're question however, and yeah it's probably a good idea to take 7 subjects first and then decide, or if the History HL, Chemistry HL and Biology HL could work out for both of them that would be fine. There's no point in asking the coordinator honestly, I know a lot more than him already (about subject choices and universities, not sending letters to the IBO) and I'm not even in the IB.

I'm not bad at Maths but I wouldn't take it at HL, I'm in the 'preparation group' for those intending to take HL though. As for finding my interests totally different... Yeah to a certain extent maybe. Actually I like most of the subjects, and it's definitely a problem.

lol see, so cute :) yes but hey, I'm older than you!

Do you want to be a doctor? I think Law might require you to take Math HL :S not sure, though, can't remember :/ and for Med it's better if you take Math HL, right? And you are in the preparation course for HL so take it if you want :P but again, if not so necessary don't take it, might be too much for you and it's not worth the pain unless you want to study Engineering, Comp Sci, Math or something along those lines..

We have about 15 students (out of 20) taking Economics and 10 of us never studied Econs before at all :P but I think we are doing quite well in Econs and some of us are doing really well and of course some other people are struggling, but the syllabus for your cohort has changed so who knows?

How can you take 2 A languages, though? I thought one must be language A and the other one must be language B? For the normal diploma that is :S

Hey. For me, I'm going to do a science-based course, and thus Bio Chem and Maths at HL. Honestly, if you are undecided between a social science course and a natural science, you could offer 4 HLs, 3 SLs. At my school, all of us who are taking econs have not studied it before, but it seems like everyone is coping well, so I don't think it will be a problem.

As for Maths, if you eventually decide to go into social science, then it is not worth the trouble. But if you want to do Econs or Medicine at uni, it would be best to take up Maths HL. As Desy said, since you're already in the preparation course for Maths HL, you might want to give it a shot, although if you really dislike it, then maybe not.

@Desy: I think he's saying that he's taking one language at A1 and the other at A2, which fulfills group 1 and 2 i think.

I agree with wrcr87 :)

I think he's saying that he's taking one language at A1 and the other at A2, which fulfills group 1 and 2 i think.

No, I think the syllabus has changed and there is no more language A2 :P thus group 1 is language A and group 2 is just language B and Ab initio. I'm not so sure on that though :P

I agree with wrcr87 :)

I think he's saying that he's taking one language at A1 and the other at A2, which fulfills group 1 and 2 i think.

No, I think the syllabus has changed and there is no more language A2 :P thus group 1 is language A and group 2 is just language B. I'm not so sure on that though :P

Yup, no more Language A2. Language A1 will be split into two "branches", shall we say. One is more a creative writing branch, the other is more literature (so I have hears, I could be wrong). Group two is just language B or ab inicio. also, from what I have heard, you won't be allowed to take two A1 languages either.

Guest Soiboist

lol see, so cute :) yes but hey, I'm older than you!

Do you want to be a doctor? I think Law might require you to take Math HL :S not sure, though, can't remember :/ and for Med it's better if you take Math HL, right? And you are in the preparation course for HL so take it if you want :P but again, if not so necessary don't take it, might be too much for you and it's not worth the pain unless you want to study Engineering, Comp Sci, Math or something along those lines..

We have about 15 students (out of 20) taking Economics and 10 of us never studied Econs before at all :P but I think we are doing quite well in Econs and some of us are doing really well and of course some other people are struggling, but the syllabus for your cohort has changed so who knows?

How can you take 2 A languages, though? I thought one must be language A and the other one must be language B? For the normal diploma that is :S

Ah, the age is number... Oh you're taking Maths HL, guess you're obsessed with those things, huh? Yes, it is entirely possible to have 2 A languages with the new system. Language and literature is similiar to the old A2 and Literature is exactly the same course as A1 used to be. If you're not able to take two of them at A, it's something that's regulated by your school.

Anyway no I don't want to go into neither medical school nor economics as some of you may think.

Ah, the age is number... Oh you're taking Maths HL, guess you're obsessed with those things, huh? Yes, it is entirely possible to have 2 A languages with the new system. Language and literature is similiar to the old A2 and Literature is exactly the same course as A1 used to be. If you're not able to take two of them at A, it's something that's regulated by your school.

Anyway no I don't want to go into neither medical school nor economics as some of you may think.

Really? I wasn't sure about it. That's actually really good to know, cause one of my friends going into IB next year thought she could only take one and was really down in the dumps about it when she found out. I'll pass on the information :)

Oh sorry guys. When will the change be implemented? Because at my school we're still using the A1 & A2/B/ab initio options for group 1 and group 2, although most of us take language B.

And if you do not want to go into medicine or econs, then maybe Bio Chem Hist Econs HL? If the workload is too much then you could eventually drop one of them.

Oh sorry guys. When will the change be implemented? Because at my school we're still using the A1 & A2/B/ab initio options for group 1 and group 2, although most of us take language B.

And if you do not want to go into medicine or econs, then maybe Bio Chem Hist Econs HL? If the workload is too much then you could eventually drop one of them.

The change applies to students taking their exams in May 2013 and onward. Anyone taking exams before that will have the old syllabus.

Guest Soiboist

Yeah I'm probably going to start out with that except for the extra Economics which I'll take at SL due to that I'm not really planning to study it, I just think a basic knowledge in Economics will be useful if I go into the social sciences later. I've thought about it, and there's not really anything else that I could take that would make me more able to do social sciences as the other courses, Business and Psych are quite specific. I guess what could make me more prepared for it could be a language at HL, but I don't think it will make a big difference. *Aldo Raine mode* SOUND GOOD!?