Subject combination

Guest Soiboist

I have to say that for PPE, international relations, politics and law it would very much strengthen your application if you had English as HL (then again, it depends on your ability to do it at HL). As you're coming from a foreign country at least British universities (the better ones for sure) would be impressed if you were able to show fluency in English. Anyway as all of those subjects revolve at least partially around essays so it would be useful.

Again, depending on your ability, I'd consider having math HL, as at least Oxford PPE likes to see that (although a friend of mine got in with SL, but he had to get a 7 in it). I would definitely keep history as HL as it is rather relevant for the courses you're considering.

The problem, obviously is that you don't know whether you want to do natural sciences or social sciences at university. It's a tough world, but you should really consider that if you are going to apply to Britain since the subjects you're taking should be somewhat tailored towards what you want to do at uni.

Guest Soiboist

I have to say that for PPE, international relations, politics and law it would very much strengthen your application if you had English as HL (then again, it depends on your ability to do it at HL). As you're coming from a foreign country at least British universities (the better ones for sure) would be impressed if you were able to show fluency in English. Anyway as all of those subjects revolve at least partially around essays so it would be useful.

Again, depending on your ability, I'd consider having math HL, as at least Oxford PPE likes to see that (although a friend of mine got in with SL, but he had to get a 7 in it). I would definitely keep history as HL as it is rather relevant for the courses you're considering.

The problem, obviously is that you don't know whether you want to do natural sciences or social sciences at university. It's a tough world, but you should really consider that if you are going to apply to Britain since the subjects you're taking should be somewhat tailored towards what you want to do at uni.

During the latest days I've decided that I will not pursue a career in the natural sciences, though I'm quite good at them I don't find them as interesting as the social sciences. Actually I was mostly considering them due to the fact that I like Biology a lot and in order to study it the best option would be to pick Chemistry HL as well. I don't like Chemistry on its own though and I thought it therefore would be tough taking it at HL. I figured my combination would also be way to focused (2/3 from a British point of view) toward the natural sciences when I actually like the social sciences more. I picked History HL, Economics HL and Biology HL as I still like Biology very much and since it will give me a quite varied set of HL courses.

I agree what you say about Maths but I'm not even considering taking it. Secondary school Maths education in Sweden is probably one of the worst in the world (especially in contradiction to Finland's) and I have a background that is below average standard considering Maths. I've done well now though and I'm quite confindent that I'll be able to get a high grade in SL with hard work. However HL is therefore obviously a whole different thing for me, and I think I would have to work very, very hard just for passing, making it rather pointless to take it. I don't want to specialize in Economics in any way either so hopefully they would not discriminate me for not taking it.

I haven't really thought about taking English as it seems that SL and HL are pretty much similar, it's just reading a few extra books basically. I don't know why but I've always seen languages at HL as the easy way out and I wouldn't want that. I could take it at HL and do 4 HLs of course but I'm probably taking Language B SL as an extra certificate and I don't want to end up in a situation where I don't have time for everything.

Thanks a lot for your post, it really helps me.

hello, young man!! :) how are youuu? I miss your comments on my wall hahahaha

So what was your latest decision? Looking at your last post only, I would suggest:

Language A HL

Language A HL..?

History HL

Biology SL

Math SL

Economics SL

:D

No need to take chemistry..yes it is hard, at the beginning of my course I took chem HL but the first few topics were damn hard because I had never learnt it before. so I dropped to SL :) but then now I am finding SL fairly easy because the following topics are easy, I have learnt them in IGCSE and there's not much of a new thing, that's why :)

Are you currently taking chem?

In regard to languages being an easy way out. I understand why you would say that, but it definitely isn't the case. Yes, in a way it only means doing a few more books, etc. which might not seem all that hard. However, the real difficulty comes from the fact that the level of your writing is expected to be significantly better. For some that might be a problem since it might be hard to pick up what they want, but if you're able to do that I would certainly consider an HL language. I would especially recommend English, just because if you want to apply to Britain or US to study something like social sciences it would be a good idea to show fluency.

I also recommend talking with your teachers about what they think is realistic for you. If they think you wouldn't cope at HL level, then there is no idea in taking them at HL, and rather focus on other subjects that are essay based.

Guest Soiboist

In regard to languages being an easy way out. I understand why you would say that, but it definitely isn't the case. Yes, in a way it only means doing a few more books, etc. which might not seem all that hard. However, the real difficulty comes from the fact that the level of your writing is expected to be significantly better. For some that might be a problem since it might be hard to pick up what they want, but if you're able to do that I would certainly consider an HL language. I would especially recommend English, just because if you want to apply to Britain or US to study something like social sciences it would be a good idea to show fluency.

I also recommend talking with your teachers about what they think is realistic for you. If they think you wouldn't cope at HL level, then there is no idea in taking them at HL, and rather focus on other subjects that are essay based.

Just to easen things for you, this is what I have picked recently.

History HL

Economics HL

Biology HL

English A Language and Literature SL

Swedish A Literature SL

Maths SL

Extra certificate: French B SL

The problem obviously is that I already have an extra certificate, and I am not sure how my school react if I would tell them I want to take English as another HL. Because yes, I definitely think that I'm able to do it at HL, but again I already have that certificate. You may wonder why French is there all of a sudden but I've found an interesting course very similar to PPE where they really want you to take a modern language, actually at HL preferably. I am currently asking them about it though so I will know definitely in a few days what they want. Do you think it's generally just a language at HL the better universities appreciate, or English specifically?

I have to say that I really appreciate your help, you're doing something related to what I could really see myself doing in a few years time, History at Cambridge that is.

History HL

Economics HL

Biology HL

Swedish A Literature SL

Maths SL

The problem obviously is that I already have an extra certificate, and I am not sure how my school react if I would tell them I want to take English as another HL. Because yes, I definitely think that I'm able to do it at HL, but again I already have that certificate. You may wonder why French is there all of a sudden but I've found an interesting course very similar to PPE where they really want you to take a modern language, actually at HL preferably. I am currently asking them about it though so I will know definitely in a few days what they want. Do you think it's generally just a language at HL the better universities appreciate, or English specifically?

I have to say that I really appreciate your help, you're doing something related to what I could really see myself doing in a few years time, History at Cambridge that is.

I definitely wouldn't do 7 subjects and 4 HLs, for most people that would certainly be too much. Whether universities appreciate languages generally at HL or English specifically depends very much on the course. If you apply for a course involving much essay writing and were to do it in English I would definitely have English at HL, simply because it shows your ability to write essays at a high level. However, not having it at HL shouldn't be that big of a problem it is just preferable. I know a guy doing law at KCL from my year who only had English A2 SL (basically equivalent to A language and literature I'd imagine), although he did have Finnish A1 HL so don't know how much that counted.

Obviously biology is the odd one out there, but since you really like it I wouldn't advice against doing it. Anyway you have history and economics at HL so they should make up for the essay based subjects.

So yeah, I might just stick with those, because it shouldn't only be about getting into a university, but actually studying something you like.

Guest Soiboist

History HL

Economics HL

Biology HL

Swedish A Literature SL

Maths SL

I definitely wouldn't do 7 subjects and 4 HLs, for most people that would certainly be too much. Whether universities appreciate languages generally at HL or English specifically depends very much on the course. If you apply for a course involving much essay writing and were to do it in English I would definitely have English at HL, simply because it shows your ability to write essays at a high level. However, not having it at HL shouldn't be that big of a problem it is just preferable. I know a guy doing law at KCL from my year who only had English A2 SL (basically equivalent to A language and literature I'd imagine), although he did have Finnish A1 HL so don't know how much that counted.

Obviously biology is the odd one out there, but since you really like it I wouldn't advice against doing it. Anyway you have history and economics at HL so they should make up for the essay based subjects.

So yeah, I might just stick with those, because it shouldn't only be about getting into a university, but actually studying something you like.

To update my choices I changed my French B to HL so that in a case of where I want to apply to that certain PPE course recently mentioned which requires me to take a modern language HL I would be able to do that without having to change all my subjects. Then if I feel that that French is making the suicide thoughts in my brain increasing by a few percent or so each lesson, I can just drop that extra subject and move English to HL.

I'm not really considering applying for Law though, which is the course where English is most crucial I guess. I understand that universities generally would value it for Politics, International Relations and PPE aswell, but I don't think it's the same "looking down at people that do not have it" with those.