Subject choice problems

Gaby

So, we have to start choosing subject combinations for the next year and we were asked to inform the school which ones do we want to take. I don't have much problem with choosing them, but I want to take Chemistry SL as my science. And here comes the problem. My school offers biology and physics as sciences and chemistry as group 6 subject, and my teacher says I should choose either biology or physics. Neither of which I really fancy. I'm quite good at chemistry and my teacher says I would even manage HL. Do you think our IB Coordinator will be willing to let me take Chem? Because I can't even go and talk to her cause she's on a maternity leave...

So, we have to start choosing subject combinations for the next year and we were asked to inform the school which ones do we want to take. I don't have much problem with choosing them, but I want to take Chemistry SL as my science. And here comes the problem. My school offers biology and physics as sciences and chemistry as group 6 subject, and my teacher says I should choose either biology or physics. Neither of which I really fancy. I'm quite good at chemistry and my teacher says I would even manage HL. Do you think our IB Coordinator will be willing to let me take Chem? Because I can't even go and talk to her cause she's on a maternity leave...

In my opinion they should let you take chem as your science. It can be a group 6 subjects, but first and foremost it is in the science group. You need to talk to someone about it, since you cannot talk to your IB coordinator. Principle? School director? etc.

The only way you'll find out is if you talk to her. Schools tend to be pretty different in terms of scheduling IB subjects. For example, everyone at my school takes at least one HL science, and you must take either English and math HL, but you can't take both or neither. You may as well try, if chemistry is your best science. Maybe you could even get your teacher to back you up :blum:

Hope it works out.

Chemistry is a science so whatever timetable slot they offer it in, it'd still count as your science I imagine, so long as you've got something else that would cover your group 6 (second humanity, second language or art). You need to talk to someone about it really.

Chemistry is an awesome subject in IB, so I imagine you'd enjoy it.

Good luck. =)

• 7 months later...

I know this topic has long ago died but I just wanted to say that I'm happily taking Chem. I fought for it, they didn't want to let me take it but in the end, I have what I wanted. So I've just wanted to tell you all: if you want to take a subject, and your school doesn't let you for some stupid reason, fight for it. It's worth it.

Edited by Gaby