Doing two HL sciences

rmd

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on doing two HL sciences in IB. I plan on taking Bio HL and Chem HL and I know I can work hard enough to get the grades but I don't really know what to expect by doing both. Some people have told me its really hard and its got me somewhat worrying if I can do it or not. I'd really appreciate if you could share your insight into what to expect or any experiences. I'm currently choosing courses for IB because I'm in the last year of MYP and still a little bit confused as to what I want to do.

Thanks

I did Bio HL and Chem HL.

I am assuming you want to study something medical in uni?

In that case then you should be just fine with bio HL. In fact I think you'd very much enjoy biology since you have a keen interest in it. As for chem HL, it's a little bit difficult in the beginning but by IB2 you'll be just fine with that too. I didn't find any problems with biology HL, since I enjoyed it very much and everything about it was interesting. You want to get the good grade for it, you need to revise it regularly because it is not the subject you can study in the last minute, not if you are aiming for a 7. Chemistry, I found a little trouble with because of the details you have to know, but like I said, it becomes just fine in IB2. I would study regularly for that too..otherwise it would be too much pressure for you.

Just make sure you do not let anything you don't understand pass without asking about it.

Of course the teacher make a difference, so if you end up with a bad teacher, then get the two books recommended by everyone for each subject:

Biology:

IB study guide

IB CC

Same books for Chemistry

To be honest with you any subject is doable if you study it regularly and make sure you follow the syllabus. :yes:

• 3 months later...
Guest Red XII

I'm doing both Physics and Chem HL.

Potentially, I could pick up a significant number of credits and eliminate one of my three distribution requirements if I get a 6 or 7 on both exams (and nearly complete that distribution requirement with a 6 or 7 on one of the exams).

However, taking two HL sciences is a ton of extra work - if you look at the list of objectives, there's a huge amount of extra material on the HL exams. Unless you're really good at science and planning on studying extremely hard (which is going to be difficult, as you'll inevitably contract senioritis), I would advise against taking two HL sciences. Depending on the university you're hoping to attend, you may be able to get credit for a 4 or 5, in which case it may be more worth attempting it if you really want/need the credit. If you're most likely going to need a 6/7 for credit, or if you don't really care that much about the credit (ultimately, it's not a big deal in the vast majority of cases), doing two HL sciences probably won't be worth it.

I am doing HL Chem and I find that my teacher gives out lots of homework. Right now, we're just doing calculations. Orbitals and the transition elements were easier for me to understand than all the calculations we're doing now. I've never really been good with numbers :( They don't really fit well with my brain, I can't make connections with them...

Anyhow, Chem HL is alright as long as you are willing to work hard at it. Many students in my class aren't getting anything, but that's because they talk in class and aren't making the necessary effort to make things work. If you are going to have the drive to pass this course with flying colours, then go ahead and do it :) Otherwise, I suggest you either take it as a SL or change the course all together :) Good luck with everything!

Two HL sciences is difficult. But if it is any encouragement, many of the options of Chem HL are biologically oriented-especially human biochem, environmental chem, and to an extent medecines and drugs. At my school the Bio kids in Chem HL almost without exception do better on paper three than everyone else.

Just be warned, and this may sound repetitive, but doing two HL sciences is a massive amount of work in comparison to say, an HL language A1 or History class. Im not gonna repeat what everyone else is saying, but that's my two cents.

I'm doing HL Chem and Physics and yeah... it's hard. But in my opinion, knowing that something is hard shouldn't stop you from doing it! Like, I was told choosing two hl sciences and hl maths was a horrible option and would be really hard with way too much work. I can confirm this :sadnod: . However, I did it anyway, just to challenge myself. If you find yourself getting swamped at the start you can always change to something else can't you? I say give it a go and see how it goes, but do expect to be studying a lot if you do.

Edited by Sublime Sunshine

I do both HL Bio and Chem and know a lot of people who find one or the other or even both very difficult, however I think that's it's manageable.

The thing to remember is if you don't have an interest for it and you're just doing it because you need another HL subject then things might get a bit tough and frustrating. Also, like previous posts have mentioned you need to work hard because it's very easy for something to pass you by.

Nevertheless, HL Bio and Chem go hand in hand very nicely. :)