Help With Antiderivatives

Allen

Well I somewhat understand antiderivatives, but I am still stuck on my last three math problems. If you could possibly help it would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. Find antiderivatives for the following functions:

(a) f(x) = x^2- e^3x

(b) v(t) =3/t- e^-t

© x(s) = a * cos (s/b)

*They are also in attachment, thanks*

post-37379-0-57930800-1295809905_thumb.p

Have you had a look at your data booklet? All the standard integrals should be there.

If you haven't, either way, remember a few basic things:

When you do anti-differentiation (better known as integration) with polynomials all you do is you add 1 to the exponent and then divide by the new exponent, in other words, the anti-derivative of xn is xn+1/n+1.

Remember also that ex is its own rate of change, so the integral of ex is ex. Since you have eax, the integral will be eax/a. Same concept really.

When you have more than one term, you can separate them and integrate each term separately. So let's say we have (integral (x+1)), it's exactly the same as (integral)x + (integral)1.

When you have a function in the denominator of a fraction, and its numerator is a multiple of its derivative, then you know that the integral is the natural logarithm of that function. In your data booklet, there should be something along the lines of "when f(x)=lnx and f'(x)=1/x", just apply this concept.... Backwards :blush:.

Last but not least, remember that sine and cosine functions are derivatives (and hence, integrals) of each other (playing around with some negative signs here and there).

Hope to have helped. :)

• Like 1