HELP: analyze

ib_girl

Found this in the "Glossary of Command Terms" in one of the handouts i got, If you haven't already read that.

analyse

Asks candidates to respond with a closely argued and detailed examination of a perspective or a development. A clearly written analysis will indicate the relevant interrelationships between key variables, any relevant assumptions involved and also include a critical view of the significance of the account as presented. If this key is augmented by “the extent to which” then the candidate should be clear that judgment is also sought. For example:

Analyse the social impact of developments in (a) transport and (b) healthcare since 1945.

• Like 1

Found this in the "Glossary of Command Terms" in one of the handouts i got, If you haven't already read that.

analyse

Asks candidates to respond with a closely argued and detailed examination of a perspective or a development. A clearly written analysis will indicate the relevant interrelationships between key variables, any relevant assumptions involved and also include a critical view of the significance of the account as presented. If this key is augmented by “the extent to which” then the candidate should be clear that judgment is also sought. For example:

Analyse the social impact of developments in (a) transport and (b) healthcare since 1945.

This is a good place to start- the definition of the command term, but since you are having trouble treating the question and writing a thesis correctly, I'm gonna just try and clarify this definition:

When you write an essay with a command term of analyze it means you will create a big argument or a bunch of little arguments and you will write about them, maybe splitting each one into a new paragraph or interrelating them into the same paragraph, etc etc. Writing about them means that you will clearly state your argument, probably in the topic sentence of your paragraph and than give a detailed explanation as to why that argument is good, using example, statistics, historiography, your own analysis, etc. It is also good to add in some counter-arguments to show that the perspective you are taking is not the only one, but make sure to make a strong enough argument that you discredit the counterargument without being, shall we say, "rude". You want to be taking on one perspective about the event, development, etc. Your introduction of your essay should clearly state your perspective and usually the categories/events/etc. that you will be arguing. Sometime, just clearly stating your perspective is enough, than you give the arguments only in your body paragraphs and you conclusion serves to wrap it all up. Concerning the, don't just restate your thesis, you have to judge your own analysis- so why is your analysis of something specific in history important?

I hope this is clear enough :)

Can I treat it like a to what extent question in a way? For example, one of the questions is "Analyze the causes and results of the Chinese Civil War." Should I list a bunch of the causes, and tie them together, and then a bunch of the results, and tie them together, and then evaluate which one was the most prominent? I'm just struggling with what I do with the evidence. I know the causes, and I know the results--but I don't know how to weave them together and write a thesis. Ugh...this makes me sound like such a failure. I'm sorry.

Can I treat it like a to what extent question in a way? For example, one of the questions is "Analyze the causes and results of the Chinese Civil War." Should I list a bunch of the causes, and tie them together, and then a bunch of the results, and tie them together, and then evaluate which one was the most prominent? I'm just struggling with what I do with the evidence. I know the causes, and I know the results--but I don't know how to weave them together and write a thesis. Ugh...this makes me sound like such a failure. I'm sorry.

That question specifically does not apply to the "to what extent". Usually you organize you essay from most minor argument to most major argument, so you finish with "bang" :P