Section C Evaluation of Sources

JoeG

This is the information my teacher gave me. It is all I really have:

C - Evaluation of sources

A suggested number of words for this section is 250–400.

This section of the written account should be a critical evaluation of two important sources appropriate to the investigation and should refer to their origin, purpose, value and limitation. More than two sources may be evaluated but the emphasis should be on the thorough evaluation of two sources rather than a superficial evaluation of a greater number.

The two sources chosen should be appropriate for the investigation and could, for example, be written, oral or archeological. The purpose of this section is to assess the usefulness of the sources but not to describe their content or nature.

Grading Criteria

Markband:

Marks Level descriptor

0 There is no description or evaluation of the sources.

1 The sources are described but there is no reference to their origin, purpose, value and limitation.

2–3 There is some evaluation of the sources but reference to their origin, purpose, value and limitation may be limited.

4–5 There is evaluation of the sources and explicit reference to their origin, purpose, value and limitation.

• Like 1

Certainly, you should look at authority of the source (who wrote it, what's their position in the field) - this applies mostly to secondary sources, but can be applied unto primary sources if you speak about how they got to the hands of scholars today.

Also, look at the purpose that the source has, its strengths and its limitations. The limitations can be tied in with the authority of the source, as well as its origin in terms of geography, temporal context with the events and language (if you're looking at translated sources, this is important to touch on!). Also mention any biases the sources may have, but remember that bias is not a bad thing - it just gives a specific point of view on the events or ideas portrayed.

• Like 1

I have a really stupid question everyone.

I know that in Section C we have to put all of our "source details" (Author, title, publisher, city/date of publication, etc.) but does that go into our word-count?

I know that parenthetical citations don't count, so should the source details not go into the word-count either?

It's just that I have some sources with really long titles lol.

Edited by JoeGuff

I have a really stupid question everyone.

I know that in Section C we have to put all of our "source details" (Author, title, publisher, city/date of publication, etc.) but does that go into our word-count?

I know that parenthetical citations don't count, so should the source details not go into the word-count either?

It's just that I have some sources with really long titles lol.

It does go into the word count, because if you are telling the reader in you IA where the source is from, it is not considered 'citing' it, it is considered part of the IA. So if you were to write: This source, by "Author", is a book/newspaper/etc/ published by "Publisher" in "city" in "date"<-- All of that is in your word count. If you are quoting the source, or paraphrasing it, you put citations in either brackets or footnotes (the brackets and footnotes wouldn't count)