help my bro choose his IB subjects

bigbangfan

hey guys! this time I´m talking on behalf of my 16 year old bro who is starting IB this year for exams in Nov. 2012. He wants advice about the subjects he is planning to take, and help him build a suitable course combination. These are his initial ideas:

English A1 HL

For sure, he loves Literature.

French B HL or SL?

He´s doubtful about HL, he took only 2 years of french.

Philosophy HL or SL?

He loves philosophy

Psychology HL or SL?

He loves psychology as well. Then, what subject do you recommend at HL?Which is easier? Psych. or Philosophy?

Biology SL

He´s sure enough about Bio. SL.

Mathematical Studies SL

Sure about maths studies. He sucks at math, unlike me. <_< jk

Okay, any advice from you guys will be appreciated, cuz although he asked me, he wants to be secure enough with the IB Survival Community! Thanks!

Edited by bigbangfan

Okay, here is my advice based on what you have written about your brother:

English A1 HL

Philosophy HL

Psychology HL

Biology SL

French B SL

Math Studies SL

My reasoning behind this is:

If he is not comfortable with his French, he shouldn't force himself into when he has other subjects he likes, such as Psychology and Philosophy. From what I have noticed, it seems like he loves to write and analyze. Having English, Philosophy and Psychology as HL subjects would have a lot of that and would help him develop his abilities further. Obviously, he's not a math person, so math studies is a great idea. Biology- he said he wants it SL, so that's just fine...

Also, TOK will probably help him with his Philosophy class, but don't quote me on that because my school doesn't offer Philosophy so I do not know much about the IB curriculum for that.

Hope this helps. Tell me if I've "analyzed" his personality incorrectly and I'll give a different opinion :)

Tell him he can join IBS beforehand :) we welcome new members :)

As always, my first question would be: what does he want to study in uni?

If I were him I would take the following subjects:

English A1 HL

French B SL

Philosophy HL

Biology SL

Math Studies SL

Psychology HL

Perfect, 3 HL and 3 SL.

Concerns:

I don't know whether this is true but I think universities consider Philosophy, Psychology and Math Studies as soft subjects. Maybe..idk. Some unis simply reject Math Studies students. For instance, University of Toronto. I would honestly suggest taking the common Math SL first and then if he can't survive, drop to studies.

Would you tell us the list of courses offered for groups 3 and 6? If Visual Art is offered I would suggest taking it at HL. I prefer Psychology over Philosophy btw.

EDIT: meh, late reply, reload the page I edited my post

In response to what Desy said about soft subjects:

If he is going to the USA, there is no difference between the IB HL's. They will give you credit for them regardless, if the credit is applicable to his major. Uni's in the USA mostly do not look at the SL subjects for credit. Therefore, it should not be a problem. But as Desy said, starting with Math SL is a better route generally.

Also, I didn't realize you wrote he wants a liberal arts college. With that in mind, having social languages, social sciences and philosophy as HL's are a good idea. although USA college do not require the IB Diploma, they will honor those HL subjects highly.

Tell him he can join IBS beforehand :) we welcome new members :)

As always, my first question would be: what does he want to study in uni?

If I were him I would take the following subjects:

English A1 HL

French B SL

Philosophy HL

Biology SL

Math Studies SL

Psychology HL

Perfect, 3 HL and 3 SL.

Concerns:

I don't know whether this is true but I think universities consider Philosophy, Psychology and Math Studies as soft subjects. Maybe..idk. Some unis simply rejects Math Studies students. For instance, University of Toronto. I would honestly suggest taking the common Math SL first and then if he can't survive, drop to studies.

Would you tell us first what your brother wants to study so we can give more specified advice on what to study. And maybe list of courses offered for groups 3 and 6.

Yet, he´s unsure about what to study, he loves philosophy and psychology but is also unsure about studying them as majors, he prefers psych and philo as hobbies or background subjects. Nevertheless, during IB, I´m sure he will engage so much into psych and philo that he will end up studying that. He´s also passionate about Sociology and Anthropology but they are not offered as IB Subjects at my school. Thanks for the mathematics advice I will tell him that if he stuggles with SL Math, drop to studies.

I edited my post btw, when I open this thread I saw no reply yet and when I replied, a number of other replies appeared hahaha

And I apparently misunderstood liberal arts :) never mind about visual art hahaha. I'd suggest history if he is interested. As Julie said philosophy is touched a bit in TOK already. He can still study that if he wants to, though, and forget about history.

Well, liberal arts encompasses all groups of knowledge. They categorize it as: literature, languages, mathematics, sciences, history and philosophy. Therefore, he could basically choose anything. But liberal arts also greatly emphasize analysis, thinking. If you were to study liberal arts you would take classes such as: cultural anthropology, english literature, economics, music history, psychology and world religions history. The major would have a minor emphasis on statistics and probability, environmental sciences and simple biological concepts