Poor Teacher self study help

zagster11

I am in higher level biology with a teacher that has taught for many years in IB biology but seems to be falling behind this year. She started teaching college classes on the side and it has really had an effect on our class. Everything she assigns is simply taken off of the internet, there is literally NO class notes, learning, or help from her. We do everything on a computer and if we have a clarification issue she simply says "look it up." We have taken this up with our IB coordinator and he has talked to her but that has only made her become more strict on due dates and homework and not changed her teaching style. We don't have another teacher that can fill her spot so it seems that for this year we are out of luck.

Now I don't really need ideas on how to deal with the teacher because all of those options have been tried etc. But knowing that my test is coming up I am extremely worried that I will not be prepared. The last 2 years of biology averaged, yes averaged a 4 with not one person getting a 6 or 7. This was before she started going Awol and teaching college courses. Just wondering is there any resources that can help me study or some ideas for a self-study system in able to be prepared for the test? I'm very good in biology but I feel like we are only hitting the surface in our topics.

Any tips, resources, hints or anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Get a good book, there are a few really nice books that follow the curriculum very closely. Also do your own learning. Get a copy of the objectives she is to teach and teach them to yourself, from the books you find. That's how we do stuff in our class at least. Our teacher teaches however she does not teach everything but she assigns the objectives for us to write out and it works great, everyone gets 80%+ on tests (ib questions) if they actually try a little.

Get a good book, there are a few really nice books that follow the curriculum very closely. Also do your own learning. Get a copy of the objectives she is to teach and teach them to yourself, from the books you find. That's how we do stuff in our class at least. Our teacher teaches however she does not teach everything but she assigns the objectives for us to write out and it works great, everyone gets 80%+ on tests (ib questions) if they actually try a little.

May I ask which book(s) your class uses?

Buy the Course Companion (by Allot and Allot) for IB Biology, print off a copy of the syllabus and just learn from them both together. Use the syllabus to see exactly what material you need to cover and the Course Companion for explanations and information. If you don't get a 7 with those two resources, either you're very bad at data interpretation, have an awful memory or didn't do that well on your IAs :blum:

Similar to what have been said above.

Get the CC (Allot) and the study guide, get a copy of the syllabus from here and start from the beginning of the syllabus, point by point and every point you don't understand well ask someone or ask on here, we could explain anything you don't understand in the syllabus. The good thing is 95% of the exam is from the syllabus, so ensuring that you have understood all points in the syllabus makes you pretty much ready for the exam.

Like you said, trying to find a solution to the teacher problem wont do you any good, you are running out of time and she obviously doesn't care about your exam, do not depend on her, anything you don't understand..just ask around.

I agree with Mahuta.. defnitely look into those bokos and the syllabus... If you cannot get ahold of the CC, try and get ahold of an AP book. They tend to be somewhat similar in curiculum... I'll also ask my bio teacher for titles of good books and i'll post them here once I get the names. He uses a tone of different books, non-IB, in order to give a more detailed account of the objectives on the IB syllabus. all of his students get 6's and 7's usually. I'll check into it for you...