Help with Russian Revolution IA

meecow123

Hey guys!

i've just been assigned the History IA on Monday, and I think I know what I'm going to write about. My topic looks the failures of the Provisional Government and how they caused the revolution.

I've been having trouble finding book sources on the topic (I'm required to have at least two books in my bibliography). Help?

Edited by meecow123

Two good historians I always suggest are: Davies (cannot remember his first name) and Eric Hobsbawm...

I have never read any of their works on specifically the Russian Revolution, but they are extremely thorough and have very good arguments for their claims. Their historiography would be a good place to look, but I'm not sure if you will find anything...

As far as I'm aware at least Hobsbawm has never published anything on the Russian revolution.

To be honest, your topic looks a bit too broad for an IA, I would suggest narrowing it further down. Perhaps to one aspect of the failures of the provisional government. Perhaps looking at how the effects of the Kornilov affair or something like that. On books, it is probably specific enough to have books about the Russian revolution. Orlando Figes's book A People's Tragedy is a classic, and a very well written one too, I would definitely advice using that. Works written by Robert Service should also be helpful. All in all, finding books about the Russian revolution shouldn't be a problem, instead you'll probably find just too many <_<

Not just on this topic, but on any applicable, you can always apply a grand narrative or theoretical framework of some sort.

For this, you can use the framework that was the actual framework of the revolution, Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto (available in pretty much every book shop in the world) and Michel Foucault's social theory which you can find in several of his articles, such as What is Enlightenment?. Any cultural theory reader could potentially be a useful source for such theoretical framework.

Also, if you can get your hands on The Russian Revolution by Brown University's Choices Program, which is more like a textbook but gives decent info, and The Cambridge History of Russia , more of an academic book, plus the resources Julie pointed out you should have that covered.