Question about CAS Activities

Unfortunately, from what I know, neither of them do. G4 is related to an IB class, so it is like getting CAS hours for doing homework which you would have to do anyways. Same with the newspaper class. The work you do outside of school for it is considered homework- you would need to do it anyway for your class.

Now, doing something extra for the class that is not require at all could count for CAS, but you should check with you CAS coordinator to make sure

Working on the year book or the school newspaper can be considered as a CAS activity. So you can use the hours working in that as CAS hours, if you are designing, writing stories or articles it can be considered as creativity, but if you are help in some small things, i thin it will be action or service. Many students in my school got CAS hours for working on that, so go on. Group 4 project is a type of Group 4 internal assesment, so as i think it will not be a part of your CAS.

Working on the year book or the school newspaper can be considered as a CAS activity. So you can use the hours working in that as CAS hours, if you are designing, writing stories or articles it can be considered as creativity, but if you are help in some small things, i thin it will be action or service. Many students in my school got CAS hours for working on that, so go on. Group 4 project is a type of Group 4 internal assesment, so as i think it will not be a part of your CAS.

Would designing for the school yearbook require a proposal?

The only person who can answer this question properly is your CAS Coordinator. Only they can approve/deny activities, so don't ask us, check with them! Schools allow different things, and this is one of those things where some Coordinators might say yes, others might say no. Certainly where I went to school it'd be a no, you can't count stuff from lessons. So check with the person at your school :panic:

Everything in CAS requires you to talk with the CAS coordinator. Really, it's helpful to talk to them.

Make a proposal, talk to who would be your supervisor and begin counting your the hours of your activity towards CAS after your CAS coordinator gives you a green light (if they do, that is). You should also consider which learning outcomes are you planning to fulfill through your activity, so don't forget that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would making teddy bears and giving them to my local Children's Hospital be a good CAS activity?

That is such a great and cute idea! That would encompass both creativity for the wider community and a service for the wider community. Maybe you could get more people to participate with you and then there would be more teddy bears and people to help you distribute them at the local hospital. Just an idea :(

• 2 weeks later...

What will count as hours when making the bears? Also, is there any way I can do cooking as a cas activity?

Great questions! The entire activity would get you Creativity and Service hours. The creativity hours would come from the time you spent making the bears, because it is creative. Depending on what your CAS coordinator says, he/she might let you split those hours between service and creativity, because your creative idea is for a service to others, but you will have to clear that with the CAS coordinator. The time you spend organizing a visit to the children's hospital, and actually going there, and the time you spend there would be service hours. If you do not plan on actually going to the hospital, for instance, just sending the bears to the hospital in some way, the time you spent making the bears should definitely be split between service and creativity, like i mentioned before. That is how I would look at it, but to make sure that this is correct, you should clear it with the CAS coordinator (stop by and tell her your idea and how you think you could get the hours, and what activities would count for what type of hours).

Cooking is a cool creativity activity for CAS, but remember, CAS needs to be an ongoing activity, not just one day where you decide to bake cookies. Also, your parents can't sign any forms, so you would need someone to supervise you. You could do a lot of stuff with cooking, making make a cooking class once a week after school, which would be creativity and service hours. Or maybe the food you cook would be donated to a bake sale or something for service hours too! There is so much you could do. If you just want plane cooking, for yourself, fnd out how someone could moderate your work and could sign your forms :)