How to nail quantitative chemistry?!

sweet candy

Hey,

Practicing those questions really helped me.... which book you follow... I do the IBID chem and its pretty helpful.... if you still cant get around it ... try sites like mit OCW or go on itunes U and search for quantitative... The videos are awesome...

But quantitative isnt that tough.... try understanding the formulas and the basic concepts.... its pretty much just the application of those.

Best of luck,

Sid

For quantitive, practice and practice, not only practice but look for each problem and how you will solve it, go step by step, understand why each step happened then practice another, look to your mistakes and try to diagnose the problem and solving it. Bfore solving read the concept (you should understand what are you solving). I f you have a problem in one concept then post a question here and we can help you to understand.

Edited by inm

I don't know how well this will work for chemistry but my physics teacher has a "G.U.E.S.S.P.L.U.S." method for solving math intensive physics questions.

G - Given, know what the question gives you.

U - Unknown, what does the question want from you?

E - Equation, to get the answer

S - Substitute what you have into it (if you have something more complex, plug in equations for the variables. Like if it has an f in it, and the question gives you m and a, just plug it in so you kind of get one giant comprehensive equation.

S - Substitute, the numbers :P

P and L don't really work for chemistry...

U - Uncertainties (might still not apply, but this is for propagation)

S - Sig Digs.

Is this an option or are we talking about just stoichiometry? Knowing conversions works great for stoichiometry, know how to get mass to mols, mols to volume (gases), mol:mol ratios, etc. You can even use enthalpy changes as conversion factors sometimes :P