Getting into IB

detectiveconan

Hi! I am trying out for the IB program, and I have to take this lengthy exam and fill out an application form. I was wondering if anyone who had to go through the same process could give me some suggestions before the test?

Is it true I have to drop all my extracurricular activities when I get into IB? I like having extracurriculars for four days a week. I also like maintaining an 85 average. Is this achievable?

Yeah I had to apply for pre-IB and write the SSAT exam. If your test is the same as mine, it's pretty straightforward except for the vocabulary section (is that what it's called? sorry it was 3 years ago I don't remember that well :/) which has some very strange words that you'll probably never hear ever again...You could try doing some past questions just to get used to the format, if you like. It's all multiple choice (they removed the essay portion when I took it).

Do your best on the test, but remember they may take other things into consideration too (ie your current grades, EC's, etc). The best thing is to relax! XD

About your EC's you could definitely do EC's 4 days a week and get an 85% average. I don't know where you're from but where I live it's doable with some time management :panic:

Edited by Summer Glau

Oh my gosh! We don't have to take a test. As for extracurriculars many people manage like 3 activities and their meets and tournaments so you should do just fine. The key thing is to find a good way to manage your time whether it be a planner or whatever and stick with it throughout IB. It'll be key in remembering your turn in dates.

As for dropping extra curriculars, you shouldn't drop them, but you should for sure minimize them. I'm finding it really hard in IB to be in orchestra, band, choir, jazz...everything. I know people who can do full IB with one major extra curricular activity (like being in the school play), but if you're like me and are in everything (as in, if you're like me and trying to do sports, band, choir, orchestra, everything as well as take additional classes in school)...drop some stuff before taking on IB. It will save you a lot of all-nighters and failure.

Don't give up all your extra curriculars, but realise that you need sleep. Try to find a good balance. I'm not sure if these four nights a week of extra curriculars are each one hour a night or five. But you should be fine as long as you manage your time really well and don't try to do everything.

That's new, I didn't know people had to tryout for IB. You just need to be ready for a transition, be ready to find a balance between all of your activities. It might be tough at first but things will get better. You will be a pro at balancing things in no time. :] Good Luck on your exams.

I.B is basically about learning to manage your time, you shouldn't drop extracurricular activities but if you find it overwhelming maybe you should choose carefully those that you like more. Its also better to get your Community Service Hours earlier in the year so you're not as stressed later on

Think of IB as a pit of ravenous bears. To get in, all you need to do is sign up and take a general knowledge exam covering all the basic subjects, Language, Math, I think maybe some science as well. Don't sweat it, it's reputably a very easy test- I know of only a few people who weren't able to pass. I think it may exist in part as a safety valve for those who are being forced in by the parents as one could bomb on purpose and who would know? But I think from your tone you're entering of your own volition, so don't worry about that. If you can maintain an 85 average, you'll probably smoke the test. If you study anything, I'd recommend you study French if you're Canadian. A lot of people, including myself, found that section to be a bit of a nasty surprise. At the end of the test we had a short write on "who, alive or dead, we would want to have lunch with" or something to that effect. I'm guessing that was a creativity gauging question. And then once you get into IB, you get torn apart and devoured by ravenous bears.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

for my school we had to write an essay saying why we wan't to get in. Then we had to get 3 teacher rec's, list all awards, extra curiculer stuff, anything published, science awerds at was part one, then for the 2nd part we had to take an interview.

Plus we had to have a minimum 3.0 GPA.

Edited by Imma Be

• 2 years later...

In my school i took a test but it wasn't that long but i'm not too sure about filling an application form but no worries lot's of people did the

exact same thing .But one adive is too try to get 80% and above cause that's gonna give a boost in the interview, also don't forget to behave

in a good manner and get lot's of extra curricular .Good luck and all the best in IB.