Flash animation?

frogger

I'm starting IB art next year and as I'm not exactly ... artistically inclined I'm thinking of all the different mediums I could be using just so that I can reassure myself that I'm not going to die haha

Since I did a class on Flash/photoshop/dreamweaver last year I figured I may as well use some of it to my advantage.

So pretty much, are Flash videos (or videos of any sort) allowed to be used?

Much thanks :)

IB Arts? Which type of Art? I think they have Visual Art, Music, Theatre, etc... and my school only offers Visual Art, and from what I heard they don't draw on computer. Maybe not YET but I am not sure..

Btw I did learn photoshop, flash and a little bit of dreamweaver (I think we used Ms. Frontpage for web design instead) and I refuse to take art even though I'd like to (I need a second Science so yeah..)

I did something about it for CAS, though. From those 3 softwares I am most familiar with photoshop, so I went to design a calendar with my friends (I was the main designer, still) and this used photoshop a lot :) so all the skills or techniques I learned before are not useless :)

I guess you can do something for CAS too. Flash animations are awesome and very attractive for people to see, so if you have an exhibition or something I think a lot of people will like it too :) so even if you are not allowed to draw digitally in art class, you could still be happy and do it for your CAS.

Yes you CAN use Photoshop to create Computer Graphics for visual Art. My teacher did say that Animation can be used but then I'm not sure how that would be displayed by the end of the 2 years when the examiner come in to interview you and see your studio pieces. Perhaps the laptop and the animation in full screen? I don't know but good luck though!

I have the same question.

I was interested in combining a few videos (I don't know if I would have to capture the subject with my own camera; if not, then I would have to search and then cite the sources) to a song and having it displayed at my examination on projection against a blank wall. I know someone else on here mentioned they did this for their course and had a great time with it, but I don't remember who and I can't find it anywhere...

In other words, I would say yes. Just be sure to ask your teacher first. I have yet to ask mine, simply because I have so many other projects to do beforehand :blink: You would definitely earn points for stepping out of the box!

From what I have heard, new IB regulations state that videos (motion pictures) do not fall under the IB visual arts anymore and cannot be used because they have created a new IB subject of cinematography... therefore, videos no longer fall under the visual arts, same with music. You can use music with you IB Music class, not Visual Arts (hence the word "visual")

From what I have heard, new IB regulations state that videos (motion pictures) do not fall under the IB visual arts anymore and cannot be used because they have created a new IB subject of cinematography... therefore, videos no longer fall under the visual arts, same with music. You can use music with you IB Music class, not Visual Arts (hence the word "visual")

Do you have a source that you could link me to?

I was really excited about playing light instrumental music overhead during my examination for the first part and then tuning it down when we discussed. Or having a piece that centered on how specific music can transform what you see and how you see it. I would still use my art as a central piece, but the music would be a supporting factor. Does that fall out of regulations?

Do you have a source that you could link me to?

I was really excited about playing light instrumental music overhead during my examination for the first part and then tuning it down when we discussed. Or having a piece that centered on how specific music can transform what you see and how you see it. I would still use my art as a central piece, but the music would be a supporting factor. Does that fall out of regulations?

I do not have the source, unfortunately. My teacher told us because a couple of us wanted to make a video and do animations and stuff... and he had just finished a course in teaching IB visual arts and he said it was a new rule, but I'll ask him again and see if he can find out more specific, but that won't be until monday when my classes start again

he said it was a new rule

If it's a new rule, this rule probably won't apply to the 2011 and 2012 batch because we have started our courses. Maybe it's for the next batch (graduating Nov 2012 or 2013 and hereafter).

For example my English teacher told me that the language B syllabus has changed, the IA will be written not oral anymore and he said our batch is the last batch whose language B IAs are orals :P the written IA change applies to the next batch.

Alright... I'm talking to my teacher as I send this, and he says: stay away from videos. He told me this is what the supervisor of his IB seminar told him LAST YEAR.

He said h doesn't have a document specifically to prove it, but that he trusts the supervisor and highly suggests to stay away from videos.

The reasons for this are:

• How do you make a photocopy of your video and send it to the examiners?
  • How do you represent your video in your workbook because your workbook cannot move (unless you live in Harry Potter world :panic:)
  • Videos officially fall under cinematography now for IB

But he does say you can do it, and probably get away with it, but your grade will be lower

Hate to put a damper on it, but I'm just the messenger of what my IB HL Art teacher said

• 5 weeks later...

I've already done stop-motion animation for one of my pieces last year, and my teacher was fine with it. Although it isn't advisable (besides taking a buttload of time) if you do choose to do it, for sending it to IB take a couple representative screenshots/stills from your video and that is what you will send. Same for your IWB. In my case, since I was working with greenscreens and stop motion, I could take pictures of setup and stuff.

• 1 year later...

Alright... I'm talking to my teacher as I send this, and he says: stay away from videos. He told me this is what the supervisor of his IB seminar told him LAST YEAR.

He said h doesn't have a document specifically to prove it, but that he trusts the supervisor and highly suggests to stay away from videos.

The reasons for this are:

• How do you make a photocopy of your video and send it to the examiners?
  • How do you represent your video in your workbook because your workbook cannot move (unless you live in Harry Potter world tongue.gif)
  • Videos officially fall under cinematography now for IB

But he does say you can do it, and probably get away with it, but your grade will be lower

Hate to put a damper on it, but I'm just the messenger of what my IB HL Art teacher said

This is a big topic for me in particular. I already submitted my pieces for HLA and I was able to show both the video in totality in both the record book and in my investigative workbook. It took time and effort, and I even included a copy of the artwork in my actual book so the examiners can watch the video if they choose to.

My teacher had no objections to it; he even encouraged it. He may have been wrong, though...

Nevertheless, I would advise anyone: you could at least try it, if you're interested. Regardless if there is another subject strictly for videos (I mean, there's Film already...), you would be able to at least expand your artworks by including one more different medium. And, when it comes to your IWB and your interview, you could show ample research on how you agree that visual arts does include film. It is visual, and it could well be considered an art form. I've documented my journey through it, and even interviewed local documentary film makers.

I'm not trying to derail Julie's opinion - she is incredibly more well-versed in Visual Arts than I am. Yet, for people who are curious, both those who posted above and those who haven't, I would suggest making one or maybe two videos just to get your feet wet, but, by no means should you make your entire studio work all videos.

Visual Arts isn't all about work; it includes fun, too!