IA: I need help finding a topic

KidVicious

Hello dear IB people

I wanted to ask you if you could help me with findig a topic for my IA from Maths Studies. The only thing I could think of was: 'how fast and on what people spend their money?'.

Well, I really don't know what to do with it. And I know nothing.

Could somebody help me please?

S.O.S.!

Hmm, something related maybe. Give them a hypothetical situation where they have $100 (or whatever number/currency you so choose) and then give them a few categories from which they can buy stuff from.

For example

You have $100 and are going to the mall and can spend any amount of the $100 on these categories

Entertainment:

Food:

Clothes:

Technology:

You would need to keep something constant of course, maybe age, gender, grade level, anything else you can think of. From this you could find relations between your constant (the age or whatever) and where they would hypothetically spend the most money.

You only need to do two calculation, I would certainly run a chi squared test, after that it's up to you. You can do pearson's coefficient, coefficient of determination (they kind of go together), you could always figure out a line too. All up to you, you just need 2 mathematical calculations included for full points in that section.