When choosing a career

Schnee

Alright, let's think ahead, far, far ahead of IB Exams, even ahead of University.

So what in a career is the most important to you? e.g. is it for the $, or for what you'll do, or for its impact on society etc.

Make a ranking list :P

Better yet, tell us the profession that you're aiming for~

Meh:

1) Personal interests, ex. I'd never dream of becoming a historian even if I get paid 5 grand per day. Or a doctor, I'd die first before performing an autopsy, especially after my mom's detailed description of her placement experience. So I thought, maybe a rockstar, and that was 5 yrs ago.

2) Contribution to society, so maybe I won't be a video game tester... Although it's loads of fun ;)

3) $$$$ -- too bad that's reality. Bills, bills, bills. But it's nice to think about the true values behind it.

4) Working conditions/environment -- Autopsy room everyday??? 0.0 I'd rather work in a factory. Maybe you'll get used to it. But not today.

5) Opportunities--duh, have to be smart and know the "market". Competition is never a bad thing, but too much of it=unemployment.

Profession: No clue yet.

Well I lied. Something related to math, business, computers, hopefully science too. Something well-rounded. That "something" is hard to find. :D

I want to be a Meteorologist (ever since I was 5 lol)

I want to be a Meteorologist because of my fascination with the weather. I don't know why, but I've always been captivated by colossal storm clouds looming on the horizon.

Even though the Math in University is going to kill me, I know being a Meteorologist is something I would enjoy. I would go to work everyday studying something I love.

If you asked me this question a year ago, I would have said "Tax Attorney." That too was a career I wanted to enter.

This changed after I saw a MSNBC or CNBC documentary that said too many people are entering into business careers rather than science and math. After seeing this I realized that I wanted to make a positive impact on the world. Sure, people in the business world do this, but I wanted to do it in my on way.

The pay is something I'm a little worried about. Jobs in Meteorology are somewhat rare, so I may end up working a Government job.

What I really want to do is work for a company that makes Wind or Solar power plants, and if I can do it, an Aerospace company.

Edited by JoeGuff

I want to be a Meteorologist (ever since I was 5 lol)

I want to be a Meteorologist because of my fascination with the weather. I don't know why, but I've always been captivated by colossal storm clouds looming on the horizon.

Even though the Math in University is going to kill me, I know being a Meteorologist is something I would enjoy. I would go to work everyday studying something I love.

If you asked me this question a year ago, I would have said "Tax Attorney." That too was a career I wanted to enter.

This changed after I saw a MSNBC or CNBC documentary that said too many people are entering into business careers rather than science and math. After seeing this I realized that I wanted to make a positive impact on the world. Sure, people in the business world do this, but I wanted to do it in my on way.

The pay is something I'm a little worried about. Jobs in Meteorology are somewhat rare, so I may end up working a Government job.

What I really want to do is work for a company that makes Wind or Solar power plants, and if I can do it, an Aerospace company.

Wow that sounds great~ Just like in the movie "cloudy with a change of meatballs", please post here if there's going to be pizza rain anytime in the future :) *jokes*

We should really all go for our passions :) I kind of envy that you actually know where you're going. I have no clue right now, and since IB is so well-rounded, it opens doors for many fields, and perhaps I'll have to pick one at the last minute. Then I'll end up choosing another in like 2 years, then another, then another until there is a "right one". Or maybe there isn't a "right one" for some people (like me 0.0).

Frankly if it's only about making a living, why even bother going through higher education, even in the trades there are many interesting jobs, or just start a company and sell awesome inventions. Although true, most professional careers impact the world in a greater extent... Ughhh :P We just have to grow up so soon.

I want to be a journalist. Don't laugh, but my idea is to work at CNN one day making documentaries about out world and how it is impacting us and the people arround us. I want to be able to help people by showing others what they're going through. I want to show people the beauty and the ugliness of life. I want to show people what our world is really like beyond their doorstep.

and I want to learn law (my mom likes the idea, i would rather do poli-sci but whatev)

So yah that's what I want to do. :D

Aerospace/Electrical Engineering. Mechatronics Engineering (robots vill rule da VORLD). Mostly because my skill/interest leans heavily towards math, and mostly because I really, REALLY want to work in a field that space-related some day. Also, I think the entire career choice often gets a bad rep for being environmentally unfriendly, so I kind of want to help disprove that.

I've wanted to be a doctor at one point, but then I realized pretty soon that everyone wants to be a doctor, and Biology isn't really that interesting to me. Not as interesting as learning circular motion and circuits. :blink:

As far as career-wise, I hate to say this, but a large paycheck is definitely on my list, but it is not the deciding factor. Furthermore, I like to look at what I'm doing, as far as if I'm contributing to society. I also would like a career that allows me to travel. I'm not entirely sure what the combination of these include, but I'm most likely going to apply for medical school after I graduate from a 4-year college to see if I can at least make it.

1. Passion/Personal interest

2. $$$$$

3. Opportunities

4. Contribution to society

I like Math. Too bad being a Mathematician or a Math teacher is unlikely to give me money. So I thought Engineer is the best career for me. They are paid quite a lot and there are plenty of job opportunities, I believe.

I am interested in being a psychologist but I don't know what it would be like and there is not a lot of job opportunity, I think. Also the salary... I don't think it is good enough

I am also interested in graphic designing but I am not interested in working in a magazine company or something like that..and I am not a good graphic designer so NO

I have always dreamed of contributing to the society. I am thinking of doing something about that after I become successful :blink: I would like to be a teacher. I don't mind not getting paid if I can get a doctor to marry HAHA jk :D I would also like to build schools in villages, perhaps in my country but idk...

So the best career is still Engineer :( if I can be a secretary, I think that would be great too but idk..