Drawing graphs for the IA Lab

Kangaeru

Group 4: Clarifications of the IA criteria

Data collection and processing

Aspect 3: presenting processed data

Students are expected to decide upon a suitable presentation format themselves (for example, spreadsheet, table, graph, chart, flow diagram, and so on). There should be clear, unambiguous headings for calculations, tables or graphs. Graphs need to have appropriate scales, labelled axes with units, and accurately plotted data points with a suitable best-fit line or curve (not a scattergraph with data-point to data-point connecting lines). ... The treatment of uncertainties in graphical analysis requires the construction of appropriate best-fit lines.

(Chemistry Syllabus 2009; page 27)*

Actually none of the IA criteria mention about the use of technology (unlike in Math IA's). Even the criterion/aspect above does not say that we can't draw the graphs by hand. But I think it is more recommended to draw computer-generated graphs.

If you draw by hands, it might be harder to construct best-fit lines. You are actually required to generate the equation of the graph, too, I think (can someone please confirm this?) and the value of R².

I personally would advise you to avoid drawing your graphs by hand unless you are technologically challenged, but since you are an IB student, I think you should be familiar enough with graphing softwares or at least smart enough to ask for help :P

It can be done in Ms. Word itself. Click menu Insert, Illustrations, Chart, X Y (Scatter), select the first one (Scatter with only Markers), click OK. Then a Ms. Excel workbook will be open automatically. Put in the values there. When you are done, close the Ms. Excel window, you'll go back to Ms. Word. Right-click on the data series, click Add Trendline. The Format Trendline dialog box will appear. Select a suitable Trend/Regression Type (FYI: the most common regression type used in group 4 IA is Linear). Look down, tick Display Equation on chart, tick Display R-squared value on chart, click Close. Click menu Layout, Labels, Axis Titles, Primary Horizontal Axis Title, Title Below Axis. Also Primary Vertical Axis Title, Rotated Title. Edit suitable fields/labels. If you want to remove the Legend, click Legend, None.

If you are not comfortable graphing with Ms. Word, I suggest downloading LoggerPro (I am afraid it is not a freeware, though) but I still think it is much easier to do it in Ms. Word.

Further questions are welcomed, including about drawing 2 graphs on the same axes in Ms. Word.

* Weird thing I noticed: The Physics Syllabus 2009 does not have this paragraph in the Clarifications of the IA criteria, DCP Aspect 3 part but the bolded part, so I guess the bolded part is the most important sentence. You may want to check with the Biology Syllabus, too.

It can be done in Ms. Word itself. Click menu Insert, Illustrations, Chart, X Y (Scatter), select the first one (Scatter with only Markers), click OK. Then a Ms. Excel workbook will be open automatically. Put in the values there. When you are done, close the Ms. Excel window, you'll go back to Ms. Word. Right-click on the data series, click Add Trendline. The Format Trendline dialog box will appear. Select a suitable Trend/Regression Type (FYI: the most common regression type used in group 4 IA is Linear). Look down, tick Display Equation on chart, tick Display R-squared value on chart, click Close. Click menu Layout, Labels, Axis Titles, Primary Horizontal Axis Title, Title Below Axis. Also Primary Vertical Axis Title, Rotated Title. Edit suitable fields/labels. If you want to remove the Legend, click Legend, None.

If you are not comfortable graphing with Ms. Word, I suggest downloading LoggerPro (I am afraid it is not a freeware, though) but I still think it is much easier to do it in Ms. Word.

Hmm I thought LoggerPro was? We all installed it while in physics class for free o.O

Anyway, it's much easier to simply make the chart and graph in excel to begin with in my opinion. Simply open up the a new excel document, insert your numbers (x in the left column, y in the right), don't even need labels and all that stuff (unless you plan on copying this to your lab, might as well put them in). After all your numbers are in highlight the two columns of data, numbers only, no units, no nothing, and the cells should have numbers ONLY, none of this 75o stuff, just 75 :P After you've highlighted everything click on insert, graph, click the scatter plot, and it plots it all for you in a nice little graph. From here you can edit and insert an excel made line based off your own input (you can choose the type of equation, linear, power, logs, etc.).

LoggerPro will allow you to define your own line of best fit based off your X variable, so you can put in anything really. There's also a MUCH more extensive list of preset equations you can choose from. You can also directly record data into charts using Vernier LabQuests/LabPros so you don't have to do it manually :D

There's a lot of stuff on LoggerPro so if you actually want to use it and get it and have questions let me know because there's too much to simply explain it all here =/