Type I vs. Type II

gleipnir

Type I vs. Type II  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which task did you find more difficult: Type I or Type II?

• Type I
    • Type II

Out of curiosity, for those who have finished both their type I and type II assignments (or are currently doing their type II), which one did you find to be more difficult? I realize there are many different combinations of type I/type II out there, so I'm hoping we'll see some sort of general consensus in the poll. This is mainly geared towards HL students, but SL students feel free to comment as well :yes:

Personally, I found type II much easier than type I. They were about equally time-consuming, but I found the type I to be much more thinking-intensive. Of course, that's just me - what about the rest of you?

I found the type II slightly more easy as well. They were both thinking intensive but type I requires you to develop new ideas yourself, whereas type II involves using what you already know in a real world application.

I did the HL Ratios of areas to volumes (type I) and Probability of tennis games (type II)

Edited by master135

Yesssss I found type I way more difficult than type II. Type II was fairly straight forward, way more interesting and enjoyable to do. I liked that you were creating something and testing it, and writing the portfolio wasn't too bad. Type I was awful for me, too much writing and working out, too much thinking, very annoying to type, boring, and compounded by the fact that I did 2 of them.

edit: for the record I did SL and my Type I's were Log Bases and Shady Areas, and my Type II was BMI (I had the option of also doing the fishing rod one but chose not to)

Edited by laryxle

I thought Type II was harder/more time consuming than Type I :P

I did the Matrices one for Type I and the Running with Angie and Buddy for Type II (which I absolutely hated). The former was ok, though it did get irritating to type after a while, whereas for the Type II one, it was just plain annoying to explain.

• 6 months later...

It really depends what type of work your more comfortable with I think. Type 2 requires the candidate to really get creative and really get out there and find a model for a set of data points. That being said, people in my cohort used the regression fit on their graphing calculator. One of my teachers have told me that the best model is not one that goes through all the points, it's a function that REALLY models the data points in the long run. If you're good at explaining and comparing in different types of functions, you should find this model easier. I did not do well on type 2 since, (it was the first one I had to do) i spent like only 2 days doing it, (and thus 2 days of no sleep), it was really the worst thing I have done in my entire life... (at 2am the day it was due, I was asking my buddy for a model function XD) I also did not find this portfolio easy since there I take math as a more conceptual subject, and no room for creativity. It's all about the rules and equations for me....

In turn I found type 1 a lot easier. Basically all you do is get out there and find a pattern. It's a lot more work, whereas type 2 is a crudload of graphs. You have to give examples of this and that, and I think you'd find this one easier if you can investigate and explain differences and trends in a graph. Basically you are just investigating the properties of something that is yet to be found, and I found this a bit easier.

To sum up, I thought they were kinda like physics labs. Most of what you are doing is comparing or investigating, (I also defined specific constants, gave things names to make it easier) and explaining what you find and reaching a conclusion. And of course, You gotta be able to explain the scope and limitations of your own findings. :) Hope this helps people coming across...

But really... worst things I've ever done...

Hell to the portfolios!

Edited by Antony Cai
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I found type 1 much more straightfoward, but type 2 wasn't so bad either. It was just more time consuming... plus type 2 was my first portfolio ever, so I was a little intimidated. My teacher did say that our type 1 portfolio was easier than the type 2.

I got the same mark for both portfolios though.

before I did my type 2 IA, I voted for type 2 being more difficult; and now that I'm working on my type 2 IA, I still want to vote for type 2 being more difficult.

type 1 is just about generalising patterns, which is not difficult for me, but type 2 requires me to apply this mathematical **** to real life, which is difficult for me. especially that my type 2 IA is about gambling, which I have no knowledge of so I couldn't finish like half of the task -_____- it's not due yet though so I still have time but still..... it's so difficult I don't know how to work it out :bawling:

Type I was ridiculously easy to me. I think I was sleeping for half of it.

Type II was much harder, it required me to think, sweat, and cry a lot more.

However, in terms of time, I found that Type I took more time. However, this was probably because I just spent a lot of time using MSWord to try to cooperate with my to post the dozens and dozens of lines of equations that I kept pumping out.

I feel type 2 is much easier than type 1 to me because I did type 2 and nailed. It was very easy to me... And we did a practice for Type 2, I started to figure patterns but it is still harder to me :P

However, I tried to look the Type 1 portfolios we may do and started with the linear equations and started to find the patterns easily don't know why? But Didn't finish it because I'm not sure if thats the one I'm supposed to do. Our teacher didn't decide

oh, and I voted for Type I