Visual Art SL RWB - Confinement

mchitrak

For SLA, you have to submit 15-20 photocopied pages from your IWB to be moderated/graded. But when the IB examiner comes for your presentation, you should have more than just 20, or you'll look as if you only did the minimum, because they will ask to see your IWB and basically read it.

Ideally, you're supposed to write about an art piece in your IWB and then execute it. But I know the IWB can be a pain and most people do the reverse. However, try jumping out of art. Look for inspiration for confinement: what inspired you to doing that theme? Psychology reasons, for example, could lead you to look up claustrophobia and then, relate it to your theme. Don't look for other artists doing the same theme, because that's as if you're mimicking them. Try to find artists who has an art piece that uses similar technique rather than the exact same theme.

Also, try to stretch out of your culture. How is confinement perceived in other cultures? For countries with limited free speech, you could relate confinement in your culture/art to confinement in jail, where people who speak out against the government are often placed (look up Amnesty International). IB loves for you to a) compare to other subjects (psychology, as I mentioned above) and b) compare to other cultures.

Edited by elmar

Thank you so much elmar!

You gave me a new lead: claustrophobia....thanks a lot!

Also, I have about 60 or so pages, and plan to do about 20 more.... is that about all right for a 6? They're pretty heavily detailed, and contain a lot of writing and research into why i did the pieces and what inspired me to take this direction in investigating my theme....

If you have more than 20, then that should be good. Having millions of pages only matters if you're doing Option B, instead of A. The IWB is 40% of your grade for Option A, so as long as you follow the criteria, you're sure to score high. The criteria for the IWB can be found on here, as well a typical Google search, because thousands of IB Visual Arts teachers have been kind enough to post their resources online.

Your IWB should be related to your studio work. This is perhaps the most important thing in examination, so as long as you have some correlation between your IWB and studio work, you will do well.

Edited by elmar

• 2 weeks later...

wow, thanks!.. you are really helpful and quick... sorry i was so late with the reply, was on holiday :D...

last q: as a rough rule of thumb, how many final pieces should I have?

For SL, you are required 8-12+.

Your theme is very interesting. Have you already explored historical examples of confinment (Gulags, Nazi death camps, other political/social confinment of a group or population)?

Even worse, all of our (my class) sketchbooks were lost when the teacher left two months ago, and we're pretty much stuck without alternatives..... please help

How can they lose your IB sketchbooks? are they insane? The workbooks are like everything- your though process, your ideas, your research that lead up to your final studio work. How could they lose them?

Honestly, you should have more than 80 sketchbook pages, but it will not hurt you too badly. 80 is a pretty solid number for option A, but not B. Make sure the 15-20 pages you turn in are very well done. If you lost some of those pages form those sketchbooks that were lost, I suggest you go back and make those solid pages again that are related to your main studio pieces.

As far as your topic goes, brainstorm a bunch of different ways confinement can be defined:

• psychiatric patients- reasons for their confinement, reactions to their confinement, results, etc.
  • animal rights- confinement of animals
  • confinement- sexual abuse
  • causes of confinement in an individual- traumatic events, depression, economic reasons, political reason etc.

Hope this helps...

@fco - Yeah I did look into those. I did two entire pieces on death camps actually Thanks!

@Julie - Yeah, well.. it was a really confused mess by the end... watcha gonna do right.. :) ... more than 80? jesus... i thought 20 was the suggested number

quite honestly though... i always struggled with the RWB's.... never really had much in it to begin with... hehe.. din't affect me as much as this other girl... I kinda work in reverse...

Edited by mchitrak

She's right. And even 80 is a short number for RW. They really expect you to put all your thoughts in that book. It's very time-consuming, but if you want to score high Visual Arts is a subject that you either take seriously or just don't take at all.

She's right. And even 80 is a short number for RW. They really expect you to put all your thoughts in that book. It's very time-consuming, but if you want to score high Visual Arts is a subject that you either take seriously or just don't take at all.

To emphasize, my school, where a majority of the students doing Visual Arts get 6's, recommends 3 RWs (each roughly 250 pages) in 2 years.

To emphasize, my school, where a majority of the students doing Visual Arts get 6's, recommends 3 RWs (each roughly 250 pages) in 2 years.

Wow, that's a lot! I just did 167, and that was enough for a 7 (and a 20 in IA). I guess your school asks that much because from 750 pages, there is bound to be 20 great pages to send.