History research sources

random111

• 1 month later...

I remember our librarian doing a demonstration to make a point about using Google as a research tool back in Grade 10: she went to Google and typed "Martin Luther King." The third result listed is this website: My link

It takes 30 seconds of reading the front page to realize something is not right. One click of the Forum link at the bottom, and you'll notice the "White Pride World Wide" logo at the top-left hand corner.

And yes, this is the third result listed for a "Martin Luther King" search. Thanks Google.

Sickening.

• Like 1

Hey, I used books mainly as my sources for both my EE and IA. One useful thing with books is that they have a bibliography at the back. So if you find one really good book focused on your area or question you can skim through the bibliography and find more books with titles that seem focused to your question. You can then expand your own collection of sources easily.

Another really helpful thing was google books, some of the books I needed were on google books so I didn’t need to buy or borrow them. (most of the books on google books are only previews and have missing pages so you really want the actual books)

Google scholar is also really useful for finding online academic articles so you might want to try it out. A really helpful tool is the date of publication limits. You can you this to search for more recent perspectives or historiography.

Hope this helps,

The bibliographies of books are useful to find sources. Also, the bibliographies of wikipedia sources are very useful-just don't cite wikipedia itself. From there you can go to Questia (if you have an account), amazon (to purchase books), or a local library.

If a library is not within reach I strongly suggest scraping together some money and purchasing a Questia account...in IB history sources are essential.

I would avoid most internet sources unless it is a university website. Durham, Harvard, Yale, and I think one of the UC's all have excellent archives of primary documents.

University of Washington has a massive collection of Silk Road based documents at: http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/texts/

When you cite these be careful-go to turabian websites to see what exact format should be used!

Also, Yale's Avalon project (avalon.law.yale.edu) is amazing with primary doc's from everywhere...

Hope this helps!!!