Drake Glau

M091.H1.08

Why the answer is A ? Shouldn't it be answer B because we know the potential gradient is equal in magnitude to the field strength

The work done by the external force is q times the difference between the electric potential at d=2r and d=r. This potential difference is equal to the integral of the electric field from 2r to r, ie. the shaded area under graph 1. (Answer A)

• Like 1

Riviera radio transmit on carrier frequency of 106.5kHz and plays music with a frequency range from 100Hz to 2000Hz. Find the bandwidth and the max and min frequencies ?

Riviera Radio (in Monaco) transmits on 106.5 MHz (not kHz) using FM. If the station is transmitting music, the frequency range must be 100 Hz to 20 kHz, not to 2000 Hz. (= 2 kHz!)

Assuming the standard FM broadcast frequency deviation of 75 kHz, the bandwidth of the transmitted signal is then approximately 2(75 + 20) kHz = 190 kHz.

The maximum and minimum frequencies are respectively (106.5 + 0.095) = 106.595 MHz and (106.5 - 0.095) = 106.405 MHz.

(This is only an approximation. Actually there are sidebands outside this frequency range but they are of a lower order)

• Like 1

Riviera radio transmit on carrier frequency of 106.5kHz and plays music with a frequency range from 100Hz to 2000Hz. Find the bandwidth and the max and min frequencies ?

Riviera Radio (in Monaco) transmits on 106.5 MHz (not kHz) using FM. If the station is transmitting music, the frequency range must be 100 Hz to 20 kHz, not to 2000 Hz. (= 2 kHz!)

Assuming the standard FM broadcast frequency deviation of 75 kHz, the bandwidth of the transmitted signal is then approximately 2(75 + 20) kHz = 190 kHz.

The maximum and minimum frequencies are respectively (106.5 + 0.095) = 106.595 MHz and (106.5 - 0.095) = 106.405 MHz.

(This is only an approximation. Actually there are sidebands outside this frequency range but they are of a lower order)

Thnxs for answering again :clap:

I toke this question from OSC IB revision guides (Option F: Communcation )

If I do the calculations in kHz the bandwidth = 4kHz since Bandwidth = 2Fs( frequency signal ) which will equal to 2 *2000=4kHz

and similarly for Max & Min

Max = ( Fc+Fs) = 106.5kHz + 2000Hz= 108.5kHz

and Min = ( Fc-Fs) = 106.5 - 2000Hz = 104.5kHz

So what I did above yields to the answer given in the book :hmmm:

Is it correct ?

Thnxs for answering again :clap:

I toke this question from OSC IB revision guides (Option F: Communcation )

If I do the calculations in kHz the bandwidth = 4kHz since Bandwidth = 2Fs( frequency signal ) which will equal to 2 *2000=4kHz

and similarly for Max & Min

Max = ( Fc+Fs) = 106.5kHz + 2000Hz= 108.5kHz

and Min = ( Fc-Fs) = 106.5 - 2000Hz = 104.5kHz

So what I did above yields to the answer given in the book :hmmm:

Is it correct ?

This would be correct for a long-wave AM transmitter on 106.5 kHz transmitting a speech signal of maximum frequency 2 kHz. But Riviera Radio is a VHF FM transmitter on 106.5 MHz, and 2 kHz is not high enough for a good reproduction of music!

• Like 1

This question was easy, but i'm not sure at the moment with question f)ii). Does anyone know how to solve it? I've tried everything but nothing happens. I only get answers around the 1.0V range, but the answer is around 0.4V.

post-67794-0-81781500-1349830654_thumb.p

Thanks!

The same current flows through each of the series-connected lamps, and the sum of the voltages across each of them is 12 V. From the V-I characteristic, this occurs at a current of 0.41 A, when the voltage across lamp A is 9.2 V, and that across lamp B is 2.8 V.

For question f(iii), the power dissipated by lamp A is (9.2 x 0.41) = 3.77 W, whereas that dissipated by lamp B is (2.8 x 0.41) = 1.15 W.

• Like 1

M112.H2.B1B

This question about orbital motion part (b)

(bi) Total energy isn't it = -Gmm/2r how do they found it using -Vm/2 ?

Gravitational potential V = -GM/r

So total energy = -GMm/2r = Vm/2

From the graph, at r = 1.0 x 10ˆ7, V = -4 x 10ˆ7

Hence total energy = (-4 x 10ˆ7 x 8.2 x 10ˆ2)/2 = -1.64 x 10ˆ10 J

M091.H2.B3B

bii) and biii) ??

Can you clarify to which questions of which part of the paper you are referring?

This question is about gravitational fields and potential

part b ) A binary star system consists of two stars with masses M1 and M2 rotating about a common centre. The centres of the two stars are separated by a distance R = 1.2 × 1010 m.

bii) (ii) determine the distance x at which the gravitational field strength due to the two stars is zero.

This question is about gravitational fields and potential

part b ) A binary star system consists of two stars with masses M1 and M2 rotating about a common centre. The centres of the two stars are separated by a distance R = 1.2 × 1010 m.

bii) (ii) determine the distance x at which the gravitational field strength due to the two stars is zero.

The gravitational field strength due to the two stars is zero at distance x = 4.8 x 10ˆ9 m, where the rate of change of the gravitational potential with distance is zero. (The separation of the stars is 1.2 x 10ˆ10 m, not 1.2 x 1010 m!)

A proton and an alpha particle have the same de Broglie wavelength.

Which of the following is approximately the ratio ( Speed of alpa particle divided by Speed of proton )

a) 1/4

b) 1/2

c)2

d) 4

?

Since the two particles have the same de Broglie wavelength, their momenta are equal. As the mass of the alpha particle is 4 times that of the proton, the ratio of the speed of the alpha particle to that of the proton must therefore be = 1/4. (Answer a)

• Like 1

Q) Radioactive element P has a half-life of 30 days and element Q has a half-life of 20 days. Initially a radioactive source contains equal numbers of each element.

What is the ratio ( number of atoms of P / number of atoms of Q) after 60 days have elapsed?

A. 1/2

B. 2/3

C. 3/2

D. 2

Why the answer D ?

shouldn't it be

B ?

60 days is 2 half-lives for element P, but 3 half-lives for element Q.

So after 60 days, the P atoms have been reduced by a factor of 2ˆ2 = 4 and the Q atoms by a factor of 2ˆ3 = 8. So there are twice as many P atoms as Q atoms left. (Answer D)

For the following graph, would you put minimum maximum lines as polynomials, or as they are shown in orange and grey on the graph below? Or are they even necessary? (context: ohm's law testing on a light bulb)

wat.png

Thanks!

I always thought those lines were your best fit line values with the +/- values attached to it. So it would basically be your best fit line +0.2 or -0.2 since it's just a y shift.

Also your current min/max lines seem to end up in the wrong spot? Your gray line goes from the max value of v=0 to your min value of 3.6(ish?)

Something semi-related, why is your best fit line a quadratic? Ohm's law is linear :o