Drake Glau

Erm... how on earth is it sensible to calculate the initial acceleration on a body from the resistive force acting on it!? :o Ridiculous!

Could you give the context of that one?

Apologies, Ignore that. Higgs, I don't understand this question: Calculate the Weight down the plane of a triangle. Working is W-sintheta. Triangle concerned is attached. I'm sorry, but what the heck does w-sintheta represent!? I makes no sense since that side would be the height which is already given? I'm sorry but this isn't the right image, which is corrupt for some reason now :S only change is the hypotenuse is 6.4m and the triangle is reducing toward the right, sorry!

post-94139-0-15587300-1335783163.png

Edited by DropBoite

Ahaha! I know that, I'm not a fool! :P But on a serious note, it doesn't seem enough to use those, these IB people are twisted as are their equations... >.>

Well the equations of motion describe how some things in the physical world behave, and they are not the invention of the IB! Before Newton, great minds struggled for centuries to understand the phenomena that are described so simply by these equations, and the inventions of the modern world use them in every direction you look.

But I agree that some of the physics exam questions seem a little convoluted, although many of them are nice examples to allow you to show that you have mastered the material.

Higgs, I don't understand this question: Calculate the Weight down the plane of a triangle. Working is W-sintheta. Triangle concerned is attached. I'm sorry, but what the heck does w-sintheta represent!? I makes no sense since that side would be the height which is already given? I'm sorry but this isn't the right image, which is corrupt for some reason now :S only change is the hypotenuse is 6.4m and the triangle is reducing toward the right, sorry!

I presume that the hypotenuse is 6.4km, not 6.4m.

The weight W is a gravitational force acting vertically downwards. So the component of this force that acts in the direction down the slope is W x sin (theta), where theta is the angle of the slope. If you are given that the height is 0.3km and the hypotenuse is 6.4km, then sin (theta) = 0.3/6.4 = 0.047 and the component of the force acting down the slope is 0.047 x W.

Yes, answer B is correct. With an AC supply, the instantaneous power varies throughout each cycle. The rms current rating is the constant DC current that would cause the same average power dissipation as the AC current. As you have noted, the peak AC current is sqrt(2) times higher than the rms current. The peak AC voltage is also sqrt(2) times higher than the rms voltage.

• Like 2

Hmm I get it now, thank you :)

Maybe it would be better if they word it like this:

The rms current rating of an electric heater is 4 A. What direct current would produce the same average power dissipation in the electric heater?

Because theoritically speaking the electric heater could have a higher max power if provided with with rms current of 4A rather than direct current of 4A, am I right?

Yes, it is assumed that for a heater it is the average power that is of interest, not the instantaneous peak power that occurs twice per cycle with an AC supply. The higher peak voltage (1.414 x the rms voltage) would be significant for the insulation of the electrical wiring, and the voltage rating of any auxiliary components in the heater.

Thank You!

I have another question if you don't mind

It is about Topic 5:

Since, Power = I^2 * R and Power = V^2 / R

This makes me wonder whether power and resistance are directly or inversely proportional?

Because according to the first equation they seem to be directly proportional, but not on the second!

I'm confused :S

These equations describe how the power dissipated in a fixed resistance R is related to the current I through it or the voltage V across it. If you were to ask the question "How does the power dissipated in a resistance vary with the value of that resistance?", the answer would depend on the internal resistance of the source that was supplying it.

Let's say the internal resistance in negligible

If a resistor of resistance 12 ohms is connected in series with the source has power P dissipated in it.

What would a 3 ohm resistor have?

The power dissipated in the 12 ohm resistor P = (Vˆ2)/12.

Because the supply has negligible internal resistance, the voltage V remains the same when the resistor is replaced by a 3 ohm one.

Hence the power dissipated in the 3 ohm resistor = (Vˆ2)/3 = 4P.

Now suppose that the power supply has an EMF of E volts and an internal resistance of 2 ohms.

Current with 12 ohm resistor = E/(2 + 12) = E/14

Power in 12 ohm resistor = (Eˆ2)12/(14ˆ2)

Current with 3 ohm resistor = E/(2 + 3) = E/5

Power in 3 ohm resistor = (Eˆ2)3/(5ˆ2)

So in this case the power dissipated in the 3 ohm resistor is (3 x 196)/(25 x 12) = 1.96 times the power in the 12 ohm resistor.

In general, the power dissipated in a load is greatest when the resistance of the load is equal to the internal resistance of the source. Note that this does not correspond to the condition for maximum efficiency, though!

• Like 1

I am annoyed with the Physics Paper 1 Question the exmainer comment say " wording in the question is important " this question >>

The fundamental (first harmonic) frequency for a particular organ pipe is 330 Hz. The pipe is closed at one end but open at the other. What is the frequency of its second harmonic?

A. 110 Hz

B. 165 Hz

C. 660 Hz

D. 990 Hz

we should use the equation wavelengh= 4*L right ? I coudn't get the correct answer which is D

Since the organ pipe is closed at one end and open at the other, the harmonics are odd integer multiples of the fundamental frequency. (There must be a node at the closed end and an antinode at the open end). So the next harmonic after the fundamental is indeed 990 Hz (answer D).

But I would still call that the third harmonic, not the second harmonic!

• Like 1

Thanks Man :D .. The examiner comment included answer C and D as correct !

another one if you dont mind

Electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference V. Their de Broglie wavelength is λ. The accelerating potential difference is increased to 2 V. Which of the following gives the new de Broglie wavelength?

A. 2λ

B.SquarRoot λ

C. λ / SquarRoot 2

D. λ / 2

again C :S