Taking a year or two off before college?

Wernie

Hi guys, I'd love to get your input: (:

IB1's just ended for me, and I've been thinking about college courses recently. I've run into a wall:I don't know what I want to do. ):

I mean, I know what I kind-of want to do, but not specific enough to let me go into something. (Want to do something interdisciplinary. Something with making connections and solving problems in society.)

Mulling over college costs (and the low probability of getting a scholarship for what I'd probably go into; local bodies probably prefer being guaranteed an investment with returns that are... more solid), make taking a year or two off between IB and college appealing. I'd probably go find a job (to help with the fees) and do a bit more soul-searching before committing to anything.

What do you guys think of an arrangement like that?

(and well... uh... silly question, but does an IB diploma have a validity period?)

Thanks guys. :)

Edited by Wernie

No on the "validity period", highschool diplomas from years ago are still high school diplomas.

Now, you're entering IB2 I'm assuming which gives you more time to find what you want to do and also your HL classes are now going to go deeper into the subject which might open your eyes to what your looking for. I don't think a 2 year break is needed but if a semester break is needed (due to you maybe figuring what you want to study later and after college app deadlines) then I see no problem. No one set a rule where people have to go college directly after highschool :)

Some universities, the more competitive ones, want a valid reason for taking a gap year.

a valid reason for them would be taking a prt time job that has something to do with the course you want to take in the uni to get more experience or something similar.

its not the same with all unis but i was considering taking a gap year as well to work but decided against it after corresponding with some universities about it.

hope this helps :)

I intend to take a 6 month break, because I will have that time from finishing IB to applied to English Universities and Theatre Academies,

Firstly - Good on you, most people are too afraid to admit it if they are still unsure of their future choices, and just do what their parents say

so well done for not doing that.

Secondly - I personally feel that it is really important to, at some point in your life, do something entirely for someone else, so you may want

to consider charity work (I'm heading to Vietnam and Cambodia on Orphanage work)

Thirdly - Top Universities such as Oxford and Cambridge prefer IB students because they are 'well-rounded', and CAS is considered quite

important, as is other charitable work - also they go to an 'interview' stage where it would be great to talk about helping people and not

just college scores :)

That's my input, hope it helps x

;_; Guys, there are no words for how much I love you all.

No on the "validity period", highschool diplomas from years ago are still high school diplomas.

Now, you're entering IB2 I'm assuming which gives you more time to find what you want to do and also your HL classes are now going to go deeper into the subject which might open your eyes to what your looking for. I don't think a 2 year break is needed but if a semester break is needed (due to you maybe figuring what you want to study later and after college app deadlines) then I see no problem. No one set a rule where people have to go college directly after highschool :D

Whooh! That's good to know (and comforting, on all counts). *phew* I'll (try to) keep my mind-eyes open during lessons. (: Yeah, that time period sounds about right. :P

t depends on the cost of the uni and how your parents feel about it. Having azn parents, it would be 100% no. For me anyways.

:) yeah. I want to go to Europe (UK more specifically), and there's been speculation about paying 9k pound a year? It'd suck if I go there, get a degree and end up not using it.

Some universities, the more competitive ones, want a valid reason for taking a gap year.

a valid reason for them would be taking a prt time job that has something to do with the course you want to take in the uni to get more experience or something similar.

its not the same with all unis but i was considering taking a gap year as well to work but decided against it after corresponding with some universities about it.

hope this helps :)

It does!! It helps a lot-- I'll keep that in mind when I look for a job. :hug: If.. If doing a job related to a degree is an advantage, would doing an unrelated one put me at a disadvantage? (as in, would colleges think people who do such things are just aimless, dithering folk with no sense of purpose or passion?)

I intend to take a 6 month break, because I will have that time from finishing IB to applied to English Universities and Theatre Academies,

Firstly - Good on you, most people are too afraid to admit it if they are still unsure of their future choices, and just do what their parents say

so well done for not doing that.

Secondly - I personally feel that it is really important to, at some point in your life, do something entirely for someone else, so you may want

to consider charity work (I'm heading to Vietnam and Cambodia on Orphanage work)

Thirdly - Top Universities such as Oxford and Cambridge prefer IB students because they are 'well-rounded', and CAS is considered quite

important, as is other charitable work - also they go to an 'interview' stage where it would be great to talk about helping people and not

just college scores :)

That's my input, hope it helps x

:) Charity works sounds wonderful-- it'll be taking one of the top few spots on my list now. (ah~ holistic education!)

--

Thank you all so much for your input. :D It's of great help (and guidance)-- I think I'll be taking that break after all!

(Now, there's just the parent-convincing to do...)

Edited by Wernie

I know in America, a student can apply to colleges and once a college has accepted them, the student can declare a gap year in which they travel, commit to a charity, perform an internship, study abroad, all sorts of activities. This is after the student has promised to return the following year to attend the college they have been accepted into. You might want to consider this if you're serious about taking a gap year and then going to college.

I'm not sure how you would be looked as an international student wanting to take a gap year, but it's worth a shot if you are serious. I doubt you would have to face much prejudice, though I wouldn't be fair if I didn't tell you that international applicants face a somewhat more competitive application process for colleges than students who are residents in the US.

I know in America, a student can apply to colleges and once a college has accepted them, the student can declare a gap year in which they travel, commit to a charity, perform an internship, study abroad, all sorts of activities. This is after the student has promised to return the following year to attend the college they have been accepted into. You might want to consider this if you're serious about taking a gap year and then going to college.

I'm not sure how you would be looked as an international student wanting to take a gap year, but it's worth a shot if you are serious. I doubt you would have to face much prejudice, though I wouldn't be fair if I didn't tell you that international applicants face a somewhat more competitive application process for colleges than students who are residents in the US.

0: That sounds amazing. Went to read it up and it turns out that UK universities have it too! :3

Oh yikes, would you happen to know if requesting a gap year makes a prospective student undesireable?

Thanks dear. (:

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the cost of the uni and how your parents feel about it. Having azn parents, it would be 100% no. For me anyways.

Haha, that's the exact same for me too! My Asian parents want me to go to uni straightaway.

I'd say it depends on how lost you are - do you think you can think of something during your last year of IB, or during your first years of university studies? Maybe you can just take less courses during your first terms in university so you can still have time for reflection.

Edited by wombat123