IB Subject Choices Help?

Pockie

I will be taking the IB course next year, and my subject choices form is due in a week.

I've been having some trouble deciding what subjects i should take.

So far, i have decided on:

HL Psychology

HL Business and Management

HL Design Technology

SL Maths

SL English A

SL Chinese B

My concerns are:

1. Is it bad for me to take SL Chinese B, when it's my first language?

2. Do universities/colleges prefer major sciences (bio/chem/phys) over Design Technology? I'm not planning to have a career/degree in design, but it is certainly one of my favorite subjects since i'm currently taking it for my GCSEs.

Please tell me your opinions on my subject choices and whether you think my choices are too 'soft'.

1. Is it bad for me to take SL Chinese B, when it's my first language?

You really shouldn't be taking SL Chinese B if it's your first language.

SL Language B are for students who know a bit of the language, but not a lot.

I would take SL Chinese A2/A1, at least, but I don't see why you're not taking HL Chinese A1/A2, considering it is your first language.

Just don't take SL Chinese B. It would give you a huge advantage over everyone else in your class, but it wouldn't be fair.

It depends on what you will study in the univesity. If your major is engineering or medicine, it is favorable to take one of the three sciences. It all depend on the major that you want to study. Business and managment is quite nice subject even the higher level. i do not know any thing about phsycology. I advice you to think about what you are going to study and where to be sure about the subject that you are choosing.

First of all, do investigate any universities you're thinking of attending, and any requirements they have for courses. Generally, if you're not planning on taking a science-based course later on, then you should be just fine taking Design, but it really does pay to check things out.

As far as Chinese goes, if you can avoid taking it as a B, then do. Even though you'll easily get good grades, you'll probably find taking it at B SL horrendously boring, and it would be quite unnerving for the rest of the class. If your school offers, then you should look at taking it as an A2, which would give the benefit of a bilingual diploma.

Also, if you can talk to anybody at the school about your choices, do. There's really nothing more valuable than talking to somebody who knows exactly how these things work at your school, and who can make accurate recommendations.

Good luck!

As -raisa said, you should be taking Chinese A1 seeing as it's your first language. But if you take it A2, that's fine as well.

It's good that you chose a class you're interested in, especially at HL, which means it will be easier for you seeing as you enjoy it. However, do look up what you would like to study in college. If it's either Psychology or Business or Economics, then you're good!

I guess you are taking English A1 because you are not going to study in China for uni? That's why you are doing Chinese B too? I'd suggest Chinese A2 SL or Chinese B HL if you want to keep English A1 SL. I'd rather go for language B HL though because it's very easy and you are not going to go to China for uni anyway.

Your Math SL is fine, especially if you want to study Business in uni. Do NOT drop to Studies. Now the rest is the concern.

Look, you have Business HL, which is perfect if you want to study Business in uni. BUT it would be highly recommended to take Economics too. I'd suggest HL. With these two subjects, you might want to keep your Design Tech.

Do you have any interest in Phy, Chem or Bio? Or are you taking any of them in GCSE? I'd suggest you to change your Design Tech to any of them SL, and then go for Chinese B HL.

Then you would have:

English A1 SL

Chinese B HL

Business HL

Phy/Chem/Bio SL

Math SL

Econs HL

I would say that it looks good now. The design? You can do it for CAS -- creativity hours. Take an extra curricular activity if there is one, instead of studying it in IB.

Another alternative: (if you want to keep your Design Tech)

English A1 SL

Chinese A2 SL

Business HL

Design Tech HL

Math SL

Econs HL

Or if you are not going to study Business and want to keep your Psychology, I'd suggest you taking Biology because I heard they are a bit interrelated?

English A1 SL

Chinese B HL

Business HL

Bio SL

Math SL

Psych HL

I'd like a reply from you to see your comments. Oh any idea of what you want to study in uni?

I guess you are taking English A1 because you are not going to study in China for uni? That's why you are doing Chinese B too? I'd suggest Chinese A2 SL or Chinese B HL if you want to keep English A1 SL. I'd rather go for language B HL though because it's very easy and you are not going to go to China for uni anyway.

Your Math SL is fine, especially if you want to study Business in uni. Do NOT drop to Studies. Now the rest is the concern.

Look, you have Business HL, which is perfect if you want to study Business in uni. BUT it would be highly recommended to take Economics too. I'd suggest HL. With these two subjects, you might want to keep your Design Tech.

Do you have any interest in Phy, Chem or Bio? Or are you taking any of them in GCSE? I'd suggest you to change your Design Tech to any of them SL, and then go for Chinese B HL.

Then you would have:

English A1 SL

Chinese B HL

Business HL

Phy/Chem/Bio SL

Math SL

Econs HL

I would say that it looks good now. The design? You can do it for CAS -- creativity hours. Take an extra curricular activity if there is one, instead of studying it in IB.

Another alternative: (if you want to keep your Design Tech)

English A1 SL

Chinese A2 SL

Business HL

Design Tech HL

Math SL

Econs HL

Or if you are not going to study Business and want to keep your Psychology, I'd suggest you taking Biology because I heard they are a bit interrelated?

English A1 SL

Chinese B HL

Business HL

Bio SL

Math SL

Psych HLI'd like a reply from you to see your comments. Oh any idea of what you want to study in uni?

Yeah, i'm planning to study in America or UK if possible.

I have also thought about taking Chinese B HL, but that would require me to drop my Design Technology to SL since my school does not permit us to take more than 3 HLs. I would much rather take Design Technology HL over Chinese B HL since DT is a subject i am genuinely interested in.

For university, i'm planning to take psychology or business courses. I want to keep my options open and have an alternative subject to study just in case i do not do well in a particular subject.

I take all three sciences for GCSE. However, i'm not a big fan of science and rarely pay attention in science classes. If i tried, i could probably achieve better grades, however i lack the motivation to do so. I have considered biology SL but i'm quite certain that i would achieve a better score in Design Technology compared to Biology.

I'll definitely do some research on universities as others have suggested.

Thanks for all the responses!

Our school offers both A1 and A2 English among A1 and A2 Finnish, and almost all the students (including the Finns who want to study in America etc.) take A2 English. A1 is not a requirement even if you are studying in an English speaking country. Therefore one possibility for you is to do A2 English and A1 Chinese (: As said before, B language won't really do you any good since you know the language already. In our school it's not even allowed to do B languages (or Ab Initio) if the prior knowledge is already broad. Good luck!