#6 'It is more important to discover new ways of thinking about what is already known than to discover new data or facts'.

lammy21

History can be very fun! But you're going to have to read up on a lot of facts before you get anywhere near it. Also, HIstory is obviously very broad. Which do you want? Islamic, European, or American History? Narrow it down to what suits your liking.

As for the question...

Isn't discovering new ways of thinking on what we already know discovering new data? Nothing is 'new'; all the supposedly new data we discover is from existing data or theories. When someone says they 'discovered' a new planet, they only discovered it because there was: A- the theory that planets actually existed, and B- the proof of other planets existing. The only knowledge we have comes from existing knowledge, so essentially, we really know nothing at all. We're just deriving knowledge from theories or discoveries the knower made. We can only be knowers if we follow what the knower did...

Continuing later; I have to leave for now :P haha

I quite agree with this logic - I'm writing an essay on a similar topic: "It is more important to discover new ways of thinking about what is already known than to discover new data or facts"...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this organisation fine?

-Explain terms in question, state knowledge issue (here I mentioned Platoon's opinion of ideas and explaned it, but my TOK teacher said I shouldn't put that in introduction but elsewhere? why?)

-Explain one point of view in one AOK (Art, WOK: sense, perception?)

-Explain other point of view in other AOK (History, WOK: reason, language?)

-Give your own opinion even if it doesn't agree with any of the mentioned point of views (that is if I consider finding new ways of thinking and dicovering new facts equally important??? AOK: Natural Sciences)

-Conclude

I don't believe my teacher gives me the best advices for an A essay, so help?

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether we discover new facts or find new ways of thinking about current facts, as long as it is beneficial in some way. Currently, I am not sure what I'm leaning towards: new facts or new ways of thinking. It's a bit confusing, as it highly depends on the different contexts of the myriad of real-life situations we can come up with. Also, there is the slightly equivocal nature of the definition of the word 'fact'; it depends on people's perspective, once again.

I'm planning to use natural sciences and ethics as my areas of knowledge. I'm not sure what ways of knowing I'm going to use, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

People keep talking about this question of finding knowledge issues to discuss in their paper.

Is this totally necessary? I was under the impression that the knowledge issue is given in the perscribed title, so in the case of title 6, it would be something along the lines of "is it more important to discover new information or new ways of thinking about old information?"

I actually haven't taken the TOK course, I'm doing the essay and speech independently (so I could be very wrong, I'm just going off the seat of my pants for my own essay, I'm afraid).