CAS hours allocation

dessskris

I am currently in the first semester of IB1, and I have already had 102.6 hours of CAS from 9 different activities with the following details:

Creativity 60.69 hours

Action 30.83 hours

Service 11.08 hours

My problem is that I am having too many hours for Creativity. I do not know if I can allocate some my Creativity hours to Service.

I have this calendar project where I am HELPING my teacher with his community project. I make the calendar and all proceed will go to charity. I have got 23.2 hours from this activity, which is full of designing, photo editing and making the calendar itself. I want to divide it into 2: 11.6 hr go to C, 11.6 go to S. Can I do that? I am helping my teacher and it's for charity anyway.

For Action, I do 30 min of sport every week and I already have another project which would give me more A hours.

And I will be getting so many more C hours next semester. 3 days x 1.5 hours of Choir per week. So I think I would encounter another problem: too many of C hours, no balance. This makes me want to allocate all my calendar project hours for S. But is that possible? It's 100% creativity, though.

I think I would end up with balanced number of hours between A and S, but twice number of hours for C. is that okay for the IB? I have covered all the 8 learning outcomes btw.

The number of hours doesn't matter as long as you've achieved the 8 learning outcomes and have provided evidence for each one along with a sponsor evaluation. All IB asks now is that your hours are adequate enough to show that you applied proper commitment to the task and that you have truly met the outcomes.

Technically the reason for the 3 categories is to ensure a balance of activities :P

You shouldn't ask us, though, ask your IB Coordinator/whoever is in charge of CAS whether they'll let you count the same activity twice. Also I should just add, you get absolutely nothing (except for needing to write up more hours and reflections) from doing more than the minimum number of hours. If you want to balance your hours in the easiest possible fashion, just don't write up all your Creativity hours.

Well, if you think about it, choir will only be in creativity if you're actually making songs. otherwise, it's action :P

@Sandwich, I've always been worried I'll get in trouble for recording exactly 50hrs in each, I got too lazy to write all reflections since I did them all last minute. Am I in danger of losing my Diploma?