CAS Learning outcomes

So my CAS coordinator is useless.

I'm not sure what the role of the CAS coordinator is, but my only interaction with mine is turning in my CAS sheets.

I just discovered the CAS Learning Outcomes yesterday. and I'm the first in the group of 15 Diploma candidates to discover these.

After completeing all 150 hours, somehow...

right, through violin and performances.

Are the Learning outcomes new or something? is it really possible my CAS coordinator doesn't know about them?

She has us fill out a sheet to document our hours. I think this may be our "journal" as well...

i'm just, lost. and really mad.

I now have to rework my previous acitvities to fit the outcomes. (I should've known it couldn't be as simple as "get 150 CAS hours. do whatever")

And a CAS Presentation?

1st I've really heard of this.

would making a scrapbook of our activities work for this? (I was never told she wanted us to make a scrapbook... I'm not in her psych class. not that they really get anything about CAS)

CAS and IB are still in Beta testing mode at my school. x-x

:P

Well, depending on what you've been writing on said sheets, and doing regular journal entries already, you're not doing too badly, though yes, you might want to re-work them to show how you've met new challenges, learnt new skills, shown planning and organisational ability etc.

Is the presentation new? We didn't have to do anything of the kind - just a journal, and forms for supervisors to sign of that we actually did the activities and comment on our committment etc.

Wasn't sure if you meant discover as in you just heard of them, or discover as you actually know what they all are now sooooo

• increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth

They are able to see themselves as individuals with various skills and abilities, some more developed

than others, and understand that they can make choices about how they wish to move forward.

• undertaken new challenges

A new challenge may be an unfamiliar activity, or an extension to an existing one.

• planned and initiated activities

Planning and initiation will often be in collaboration with others. It can be shown in activities that are

part of larger projects, for example, ongoing school activities in the local community, as well as in

small student‑led activities.

• worked collaboratively with others

Collaboration can be shown in many different activities, such as team sports, playing music in a band,

or helping in a kindergarten. At least one project, involving collaboration and the integration of at

least two of creativity, action and service, is required.

• shown perseverance and commitment in their activities

At a minimum, this implies attending regularly and accepting a share of the responsibility for dealing

with problems that arise in the course of activities.

• engaged with issues of global importance

Students may be involved in international projects but there are many global issues that can be acted

upon locally or nationally (for example, environmental concerns, caring for the elderly).

• considered the ethical implications of their actions

Ethical decisions arise in almost any CAS activity (for example, on the sports field, in musical

composition, in relationships with others involved in service activities). Evidence of thinking about

ethical issues can be shown in various ways, including journal entries and conversations with CAS

advisers.

• developed new skills

As with new challenges, new skills may be shown in activities that the student has not previously

undertaken, or in increased expertise in an established area.

Each bullet is one. What our coordinator has us do is a supervisor review thingy that has them sign off on our hours and what outcomes we met and a little explanantion of how we met each one. On top of this she requires 2-3 additional pieces of evidence that directly show how you met said outcome. If you engaged with issues of global importance, show a picture, or a something that obviously displays that whatever it is you did affected something about the world outside of your own. Pictures are great for evidence too, work collaboratively with others for example, take a picture doing some CAS with a few friends...

You can use almost anything, all you need to do is prove to your coordinator during your CAS exhibition that you met ALL 8 of these outcomes.