Maths HL Paper 1

Jennifer

It was hard - yes, yes it was hard, impossible definitely not! I found that I knew what I was meant to do for most questions but struggled with time constraints. I was quite surprised that certain questions did not come up - even though for the last 5 November exams they have always been there. For example finding expected value of continuous, finding values for which a complex number is real (two that almost always come up). However, we will see when the results come out.

-L

PS: @tenaciousdan: Remember that we are not allowed to talk about Paper 2 until tomorrow, so to be safe don't mention anything about it :(

This was simply a HORRIBLE paper. I wonder why Nov exams are so much more harder than May exams, the May 2010 Paper 1 seems SL compared to this one. I hope that Paper 2 will be at least a bit more easy to understand..

Edited by MP9

I think I actually did better in this better than I did in my mock (May 2010), mainly because I did A LOT of studying between this time.

I did leave parts of two questions blank though- the vector modulus question and the sum (something about 7^n+a^n) question. I got a little upset at myself because I realized not long after the exam was over that I can actually do those questions. For the vector question I somehow missed the word "unit vector" altogether... and the sum question can actually be solved quite easily... Oh well.=(

PS: @tenaciousdan: Remember that we are not allowed to talk about Paper 2 until tomorrow, so to be safe don't mention anything about it :(

Yeah haha I thought a vague personal opinion couldn't hurt anyone :P

I hate walking out of an exam then quickly realising how to do the questions you blanked on in the test. I guess a lot of it was nerves for me, since it was my first exam.

I was in full creative mode on this paper. These math papers have turned into puzzles, lol. You find the trick and the rest of the question just follows through. I found it easier than May 10 TZ1 (is this paper made hard for the asians on purpose?).

The part I completely blanked out on was the last part of the last question. I found an expression for A but wasn't able to show that A<1, maybe my expression was wrong... whatever. The questions I liked were

The first one, solving the inequalities of absolute values. I'd forgotten the arithmetic process but luckily I remembered how to sketch absolute functions. After drawing the sketch, finding the points of intersection was quick.

The magnitude of vectors. Every time I go blank on a vectors question I just sketch arbitrary vectors. I immediately saw I had to use cosine rule.

Now I gotta study for physics, since I'm sure Phy HL P1 will rape me :(

The part I completely blanked out on was the last part of the last question. I found an expression for A but wasn't able to show that A<1, maybe my expression was wrong... whatever.

IIRC it had something to do with the fact that a and b were positive numbers, which they gave you in the question.

I think you're talking about Paper 2, the question question I'm talking about has no a or b (but in Paper 2 it did). The paper 1 question was:

y=xex, y=kx

0<k<1

If A is the area enclosed by the two curves, show that A<1. That's how I remember the question but I must have missed something. Anyway, this is what I did.

post-24693-0-28341700-1289040170_thumb.p

when I use the calc, that expression is less than 1 for 0<k<1, but how was I supposed to show it?

It's not enough dissecting it with just our own classmates, gotta do it with the rest of the world lol.

Well seeing as i am the only one in my HL class discussing it with the rest of the world is the only option. hah

But I did find it do-able but paper 2 was easier.

• 11 months later...

paper 1 was a breeze to me...

it didn't have many questions that's undoable, but just require some creative thinkings.

But that being said...I messed up my last question in Section B,

where I used substitution, but forgot to actually solve for the intergral (u)...

so....I've lost some of my procedure marks probrably...