Is IB music hard?

Belle L

I'm going to do IB music next year but im really worried about it... Well i think i'll be fine with composition and performance but im really worried about the listening part, where you analyze the different music, as i have no idea how that's going to work and i'm not very good at theory.. well im going to work on my theory this holiday as im only on grade 3 theory at the moment but im planning to go through at least grade 5 or even grade 6...

but anyway overall... is music hard???

For me, not difficult at all. I have 100 in there.

Our teacher tells us everything we need to know- nothing we do is ib rigor. We still don't know what the test looks like.

If you're in it for 2 years, it gets easier the 2nd year. It did for ke anyways.

At my school they have one ib music class because we have 6 students total, hl and sl, years one and two.

So our teacher teaches pretty much the exact same material both years, just different songs.

• 3 months later...

Overall IB music isn't hard. With the listening it is pretty much memorization and practice/repetion. Your teacher should give you a list of music terms such as rhythm, melody, harmony, tone, form, etc... if she doesnt give you these terms and define them for you then you should ask about them. These terms are part of what help you analyze a piece of music. the second half of it is being able to read the score of music and know what all of the symbols and numbers on it mean. you can learn a lot about the music by just being able to read the score. if you need further help feel free to friend me or message me :P Im happy to help.

I also don't think, it is hard to get a 5 or 6. If you know how you can go about analysing a piece then you can ALWAYS get like more than 12 points for each piece. Also, I think you can practice for music quite easy. I listen to lots of songs and classical music and when I listen, I would ask myself what instruments are playing, what mode it is, what the general form is and so on. The book "LISTEN" from Joseph Kermann is extremely good in my opinion as it gives the main points including musical examples for all time periods.

• 11 months later...